The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Sun protection

HI - I am making an effort to take sun protection more seriously this season than I have in the past. I used to wear SS shirts and shorts, a ball cap, sun screen, sun glasses, and that's about it when fishing the hot weather.

This year I have LS, thin cotton shirts for coverage, a hat with a flap over the ears and neck, and I was thinking about a pair of sun gloves as well. Any pointers on cheap sun gloves that work well?

I know that just wearing sun screen is stupid, since exposure = bad. This year I want to limit exposure more than just relying on sun screen. No more ball cap and SS shirts.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:09 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Sun protection

Amazon.com has both fingered and fingerless for $19.00. SPF 50 +
Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I have perfected the art of minimizing sun exposure since I get burned very very quickly. Here is my set up
1) 1/2 finger ultra thin nylon-spandex gloves (~$10 at Basspro FF dept.)
2) Buff UV neck gaiter
3) L/S polyester / nylon sun T'shirts (either LL Bean or Orvis has good ones that keep me cool in hot weather)
4) Tilley Hat (pick a style that suits you...)
5) Quickdry pants when wet wading OR my waders when not.

I look goofy but better than safe than sorry.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Turbine,
I went that route about 6 years ago too include the 'Sun-gloves.' I prefer the fingerless only because I still want the dexterity with my fingertips. I have tried a number of brands and cost is a factor in quality. Most start at $19. The opinions below are mine only.

I started out with Mangrove brand gloves which worked quite well except the threads fell apart. I just re-sewed them with stronger thread, but would not recommend them. With the re-sewing they lasted 5 years. I wore a hole though the palm. They now have a Ver#2 which looks a lot better, but I have not tried them. $19

I am currently using a Glacier Glove version and it is a lot better built then the Mangrove. The material is thicker, which I don’t care for. It reduces the feel from the rod. So far 2nd year of use I have not had to re-sew the glove back together. Another negative is that their sizes are a bit larger than I like and the material is not as stretchy(More Spandex?) as the Mangrove. Which I liked. Also the fingerless length are a bit longer than I like. They fit just past the first knuckle. The mangrove fit below the first knuckle, I like that. Over all they do the job. $20-24.

I also have a pair of Simms fingerless glove which I have used but not enough to provide an opinion. The material is thinner than the Glacier, but not as thin as the Mangrove. It also is a bit stretchyer than the Glacier, but not as stretchy as the Mangrove. I will say they are very well made, like the Glacier. $29-30.

Bottom line if the Mangrove had used better thread I would stick with that brand. I will be looking at their new Ver#2.

As a side note sewing stores sell those spandex fingerless gloves (No fingers at all, just hole for your fingers.) for those of us who have a bit of arthritis. And they are an option. They can be a bit ‘tight’ because of ‘more spandex’ and I did not like that. They tended to swell my finger tips. I have small hands and I could not tell the difference between small and med. They both caused the swelling.

Hope this helps.

Shad should be in soon for us VA guys!
Larry
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
I have perfected the art of minimizing sun exposure since I get burned very very quickly. Here is my set up
1) 1/2 finger ultra thin nylon-spandex gloves (~$10 at Basspro FF dept.)
2) Buff UV neck gaiter
3) L/S polyester / nylon sun T'shirts (either LL Bean or Orvis has good ones that keep me cool in hot weather)
4) Tilley Hat (pick a style that suits you...)
5) Quickdry pants when wet wading OR my waders when not.

I look goofy but better than safe than sorry.
+1 on the LL Bean shirts. I own the cool weave shirt and it's great to wear by itself or under a fishing shirt. When I wear under another shirt, I roll up the sleeves on the fishing shirt and use it as arm protection. Even when it gets warm and I'm still very comfortable despite being warm natured. Excellent shirts.

Coolweave Technical Fishing Shirt, Long-Sleeve: Fishing Shirts | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a convertible last October, and I had to wear sunblock in January! It's amazing how much UV we get when the temps are in the 50's. We started wearing large hats and long sleeves a couple of years ago for fishing, but have been doing that for sailing always. Boating will fry your skin in minutes, and even short socks with long pants will leave a nasty burn around your ankle. Sunblock is good, but clothing offers better protection. Of course we use both.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM

mylobass is on a distinguished road

Buff brand fingerless gloves have held up well for me during 6 months of fishing 4 times a week. My Buff neckware is always in use but Friday I wore it over my nose and ears but still got burned through it on my cheeks. I think they quickly wear thin enough to need replacing at least every year.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i started to wear the fingerless gloves a few years ago and never fish without them.
in addition, high(50 upf) sunscreen on ears,face and neck.
never tried a buff, seems cumbersome

casey

ARFE
Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Ditch the cotton and get a light weight breathable shirt. There are a number of brands, I wear Columbia PFG. They work very well and will keep you much cooler than cotton. Buffs are great too. On a hot day sun screen really sucks. Leaves you a greasy mess. I'm glad I've ditched the stuff for fishing
Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Just got a Tilley hat for some sun protection. Went fishing yesterday and put on sun screen but forgot to put it on my hands. Im kind of up in the air over sun gloves because it gets pretty hot in Oklahoma. Going to have to remember sun screen on my hands.