The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:50 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default List flyfishing accomplishments big and small

Ok gang, here it is:

Let's build a list of things to do as a flyfisherman. Big, small, wild, nifty, disastrous, been-there-done-that, whatever...

I'll start:

1. Catch a fish on a fly you tied.
2. Execute a double hall
3. Fish in New Zealand
Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 AM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: List flyfishing accomplishments big and small

1. See Alvord cutthroats restored (they're "extinct," but I caught one last summer)
2. Catch a 30" bull trout
3. Catch 200 species on a fly
4. Catch a paddlefish
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Introduce as many new faces of all ages to fly fishing as we can / volunteer to be a mentor to a new fly fisher.

Teach & share our skills in tying, casting, rod building, basic entomology, conservation.

TT
wishiniwerfishin, yonder and frogg like this.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:49 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

1. Learn the craft.
2. Experience the craft.
3. Teach, Share the craft.
4. Reflect, Recall the good days of the craft.
5. Watch my grandchildren experiencing the craft on a stream of my youth.
wishiniwerfishin likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-16-2013, 05:51 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Big, [Landed a trout longer than 24"]

small, [I used my fishing net to land and rescue some poor prairie dog that was drowning and exhausted out away from the shore. That poor feller must have been picked up and dropped by some Hawk]

wild, [In my fly thing class, I finally agreed to turn the Vice Jaw toward my right hand (I am Right Handed) after the teacher begged and pleaded with me for 30 minutes]

nifty, [Tied my own Crawdad imitation successfully, after a full 6 months of thinking and preparation about using "Alternative Materials"]

disastrous,
[Drifted 12 Miles of the Bighorn River in a Drift Boat, and caught 1 trout on a nice clear day]

been-there-done-that, [ Slipped & fell into water deeper than my waders]

whatever... [Put away the Fly Gear and got out the Spinning Rod & Reel and the Treble Hook Lures. Hey...I didn't know better!]

Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

1. 30"+ steelhead
2. 7 lb. bucketmouth
3. halibut on a fly

casey

ARFE
Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

1. 180' cast with a two hander

2. Get the rest of the fly rod Walleye records.

3. Fish Alaska

Pretty sure I can can do 1 and 3 this year, and hopefully the last of the Walleye ones in the the catch and release records.

Maybe if I get the last of the release records, find a new place to live. I am so sick of Winter it's not funny. It's the last half of March now. It is 5* F right now and supposed to get down around -20 tonight. At this point I have had just about enough of this kind of weather. I'm thinking about driving South till someone asks me why there is an electrical cord in the front of my car and then drive a couple more hours just to be on the safe side and call it home.
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

1) Caught a fish on a rod I've built
2) Caught a fish on a fly (that I tied)
3) Caught a trout on a flyrod
4) Got hooked on flyfishing

Chris
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
At this point I have had just about enough of this kind of weather. I'm thinking about driving South till someone asks me why there is an electrical cord in the front of my car and then drive a couple more hours just to be on the safe side and call it home.
I like this one. Any chance you can stop in Iowa and pick me up on your way

Rich
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
1. 180' cast with a two hander

2. Get the rest of the fly rod Walleye records.

3. Fish Alaska

Pretty sure I can can do 1 and 3 this year, and hopefully the last of the Walleye ones in the the catch and release records.

Maybe if I get the last of the release records, find a new place to live. I am so sick of Winter it's not funny. It's the last half of March now. It is 5* F right now and supposed to get down around -20 tonight. At this point I have had just about enough of this kind of weather. I'm thinking about driving South till someone asks me why there is an electrical cord in the front of my car and then drive a couple more hours just to be on the safe side and call it home.

going to ak next summer dan.
wanna tag along?

ARFE