The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Pontoon Boat... Question

I'm looking into picking up a pontoon boat for fishing stillwaters... question is; I have a Nissan Xterra (and no trailer), can I just put the boat up on the roof rack for transport?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 AM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pontoon Boat... Question

I'm not sure about the equipment you have in mind, but go to Dry Fly Float Boats and see what people do with theirs.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty 54 View Post

I'm not sure about the equipment you have in mind, but go to Dry Fly Float Boats and see what people do with theirs.
Thanks. That's a good looking rig on that website!

I know it seemed like a dumb question, but I see a lot of them on the lakes and reservoirs around here, but I have never seen on the road, on a roof rack. I see them on utility trailers and in the beds of pickups and wasn't sure if they break down for transport for other vehicles.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, it wont be ideal. While fully assembled they are pretty cumbersome and awkward to manhandle around solo. You are bound to scratch the paint on your Xterra sooner or later.

I would guess that the stock rack is going to be too small as well. I guess it all depends on the type of pontoon you get. I have the cheapy costco pontoon and it sits on top of the bed of my truck. My last truck was an F-350 and it would sit perfectly on the bed rails. I'm thinking you are going to need a wider rack. I saw one like mine on the roof rack of a Subaru. However, it was some fancy aftermarket Thule thing.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Thanks. That's a good looking rig on that website!

I know it seemed like a dumb question, but I see a lot of them on the lakes and reservoirs around here, but I have never seen on the road, on a roof rack. I see them on utility trailers and in the beds of pickups and wasn't sure if they break down for transport for other vehicles.

once you get it down... putting together a pontoon takes about 30~min... filling the pontoons taking the longest... I have a neon that I could fit my broken down toon into my trunk
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've been hauling 'toons for years on top of my Jeep. The boat I'm using now is a bit wider than the standard rack but that doesn't stop me. I just strap it down on all four corners with the quick-straps canoe and kayak people use.
The Dry Fly boats mentioned earlier come from a great guy with great customer service but I just couldn't get past the high profile of them. The windage that must cause, not only when it's windy on the water but at 80 MPH on the freeway? No thanks. I don't like sailing when floating and sure don't like buying extra gas for the Jeep to make up for the drag of a boat like that.

For getting my rig up on the Jeep my buddy came up with a really clever idea.
The carpeted boards below are hinged in the center for storing. I lash the ramps to the roof rack with the same straps I use to haul the 'toon on top of the Jeep.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Look in your owners manual and see what you roof rack is rated for. My brother had a Durango and had his kickboat latched to the rack and it failed. His boat had slid down I-15 a few feet at. 65 mph.
I've got Yakama racks for my P U shell and use cam straps to cinch it down. Never a problem.
BTW, since you live in Sandy, next weekend the Utah TU chapters are having our Fly Fishing and Tying Expo at Southtown Expo Center. Friday and Saturday. Find NFO's booth and talk to hem. And Justin from Allen Fly Fishing will be there too.
Or you can get a North Fork Outdoors frameless. Outlaw series- Renegade, Assualt, etc. Joni puts her Renegade and Assault in her Suzuki Grand Vitara.
Jackster, mcnerney and stenacron like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post

Look in your owners manual and see what you roof rack is rated for. My brother had a Durango and had his kickboat latched to the rack and it failed. His boat had slid down I-15 a few feet at. 65 mph.
I've got Yakama racks for my P U shell and use cam straps to cinch it down. Never a problem.
BTW, since you live in Sandy, next weekend the Utah TU chapters are having our Fly Fishing and Tying Expo at Southtown Expo Center. Friday and Saturday. Find NFO's booth and talk to hem. And Justin from Allen Fly Fishing will be there too.
Or you can get a North Fork Outdoors frameless. Outlaw series- Renegade, Assualt, etc. Joni puts her Renegade and Assault in her Suzuki Grand Vitara.
Lot of good info there Mojo, thanks. I also stumbled across this thread which you had a big part in (on this same subject): Question for the float tube guys

Definitely going to swing by the Tying Expo as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM

forksofthed is on a distinguished road

Dude! come on thats a heavy vechical no matter what you strap up there she'll handle it.
Last summer I drove up and down the Kenia with a 13' NRS raft and frame on top of a honda fit. Little worried she was going to take off a few times

If I can figure out how to up load a photo I will post a picClick the image to open in full size.

Last edited by forksofthed; 03-21-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM

troutbum1982 is on a distinguished road

You can, but over time if you do much fishing there is quite a bit of wear and tear associated.