The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TU Members

Life member since the rod "give away" was a Sage SP and the cost was around $700. Can't say that I've garnered any special treatment over yearly membership other than a few rods priced below retail (for Life Members only, and, of course, the SP).
The Michigan Council and MI Chapters, IMHO, are doing good things. Proud to support them.
coug likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_trouter View Post
Life member since the rod "give away" was a Sage SP and the cost was around $700. Can't say that I've garnered any special treatment over yearly membership other than a few rods priced below retail (for Life Members only, and, of course, the SP).
The Michigan Council and MI Chapters, IMHO, are doing good things. Proud to support them.
I lived in Arkansas for about ten years and the group there was very active. They were working with fish and game and the univ of Ark scientists to improve habitat in tailwaters. I knew one of the biologists on the project and it was a good project. That was my major involvement with TU and it left me feeling good about the group. Sounds like not all groups work out this way, but I really admired what they did in Ark. I am a life member but not to active with TU since I moved back to the PNW, but we do have very active local clubs that are not directly tied with TU.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

I have been a life member for quite a few years now. I do contribute when I can and like to be part of an organization that is a national voice for the cold water fisheries that many of us enjoy. While people may not always agree with every thing from TU, I believe many good things have been accomplished because of TU's efforts. So, yes, I feel it is worth it.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

@Dan... Could you PM me some of your older knowledge that you've learn of TU's practices... Mainly the local chapter has left a horrible taste in my mouth... Hence why I've never seen any interest in donating... But if it's a mess as well on the national level... Then I really have no interest in joining...

Last years Great Waters Expo I was talking with one of the TUs.. maybe was Hiawatha... And everything was good and well... We were talking about upcoming projects... and talking about how I've liked what I've seen in areas that TU has done HI... But then he asked if I was a member... I said no... And the conversation came to a halt... The dude may as well just turned his back to me... Very unprofessional...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I am a regular member and joined last year when I moved to the USA. I've not had time to get involved with the local chapter. From what I've seen so far it looks pretty useful.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure each one of us could find an issue or three with any organization if we were to look close enough, but if these issues that we find offensive are outweighed by the overall good that the organization is doing whether it be on a local or on a national level...then they deserve credit.

I know our local T.U. Chapter works closely with our Regional Fish & Game Dept doing fish counts, invasive species removal, and stream restoration activities, etc, etc...

Yes, there are things I don't agree with them on, but I try to look at the big picture and the overall good their doing and I'll still support them.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM

double dry is on a distinguished road

TU in Colorado.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I was an annual member for many years but lapsed. When i joined, it was a way for me to give back and I figured they'd do more good with the $35 than I would. And I wanted the cool window decal. (HA) I lapsed cause I just didn't have the disposable. Also let go of several other memberships: DU, NRA.
I've only been to a couple of meetings and one or two projects. Was OK but I had more fun volunteering with F&G planting and seed gathering. I did luck into two days of great fishing at one of the meetings. A biology student planting trackers in trout. Looking for anglers to help.. by fishing(!) while he rowed(!!) Way cool. Something I'd never would have got to do otherwise.
Odd coincidence this topic coming up: Someone from TU called me yesterday to get me to re-up. I'd never had that happen before.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I try to look at the big picture and the overall good their doing and I'll still support them.
That how I try to see it, at least my dues goes nationally as opposed to my chapter. Even the meetings are always about fishing somewhere else!
fysh likes this.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

I'm a lifetime member of TU, and SOS ,the two go hand in hand. I truly believe these orgs. have had the most impact on the future of fly fishing and fishing in general. If your a salty man then the IGFA is your TU, join and support.

Charlie