The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: TU Members

As stated earlier, I'm a life member. Just some random thoughts/questions after reading posts:

How much (after you subtract the retail value of the rod and reel—say $900) goes to TU?

Does anyone know for sure if TU gets the rods/reels donated from manufacturers or at least gets them at well below retail? I hope so.

Sorry to hear that some TU chapters aren't that helpful. My local chapter seems pretty active. Relevant (local waters/issues) speakers once a month. Fish with a member sponsored (at discount rates) trips to privately stocked waters. 2-3 volunteer habitat rebuilding days a month (in conjunction with land owners and other orgs like the Chesapeake Bay foundation). Not to mention the stocking/habitat efforts on 3 waters I fish regularly (public and private) and trout in the classroom educational programs.

I think it helps to have a local/knowledgeable/active fly shop working closely with a TU chapter.

My taxes help out on public lands...but none of that would go to fix up some fine private water that frankly holds some of the biggest fish around here. And not all of that water is $$$ to fish. $70 for a day or hell, $10 to fish just as big and plenty fish but you have to 1 of 4 passes which are usually gone by 8am.

I'm happy to have helped those efforts.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

One of the local chapters here does small stuff every so often, but they stock over native fish which is a big no no. Their excuse is they don't know if they are native or just wild and instead of spending some of the $16,000 they have sitting in their bank account on DNA testing, they would rather just continue to float stock so they can catch their ugly 14" rainbows. TU is supposed to be about protecting these fish that this chapter is destroying.

The other chapter in my state is still kind of green but they have a ton of potential and we support them whenever we can. They actually have guest speakers and even a camping/fishing trip for members.

The chapter that does the float stocking feels that they don't need to do anything to "reward" members for volunteering their time and effort. I see it as appreciation and a way to keep people active and interested, not a reward.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

I was a member the first year i was flyfishing, the guys in the local chapter were great guys and spent the time on the water helping me out with various aspects of the sport, and answering my many questions with a smile. Unfortunately, all the streamside meeting coincided with my monthly Fire Dept. meetings. I did let my membership lapse, but plan to renew soon. i wont be doing the Life membership, $100 a month would be hard to part with, and is needed other places.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice
Default Uh-oh

TU apparently is one of the signers of this:

Sportsmen to Obama: Follow Through on Climate Change | MidCurrent
Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Just joined last year, Oklahoma chapter 420. Annual member.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I opened my email today to find a request from our area chapter asking for help with 2 projects. One is for help removing an old wier on a local river, and the other is asking for help with a 4week fly fishing class in a local community. Both projects are being done side by side with the regional DWR..

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM

troutbum1982 is on a distinguished road

Its a good cause that helps keep this sport alive, so yes I am a lifetime member and think it is well worth it.