The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Gotta love my 82 year old father!

Having come from a non-fishing family, I will tell you to take advantage of every opportunity. My late Dad was never a fisherman or outdoorsman, and I came to both later in life, but I wish I could have shared these things with him. As is, my Mom has no interest in fishing, but I did get to watch her learn to shoot a rifle the other weekend...her first time ever...at 80 years old. She did well, too. It was a hoot to see her learn that she can do something she never thought she could.

Spend as much time as you can with the man!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Absolutely guys!

Just as soon as semester ends, we're there.

He's also an avid golfer, as in he plays every day--He and a group of buddies, one of whom is 90 years old, will be out when its 40 degrees outside.

Golf's on the agenda, too
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM

troutbum1982 is on a distinguished road

Thats awesome that he is still getting out and doing that kind of stuff.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 AM

roofish is on a distinguished road

My Dad did everything he could w/me icluding teaching me how to fish. I lost him in 2007 & have thought about him everyday since, we always fished from a bank or a pier, as we never had a boat. He said something to me that will be etched in my memory forever........

I also lost my Mom in 2011......

This post has brought tears of sadness & tears of joy & like many have mentioned you are Definately Blessed, so fish with your Dad as often as you can, let Nothing prevent that from happening & you won't have any regretts....

I'm a single Dad with 3 sons so I fish with them whenever I can.

I wrote a true story after my Dad past that will explain what he said to me that I will never forget. So I'd like to share it with you, I believe you'll appreciate it...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life's Lesson's

True story, I wrote Jan 2010.

This is about SKILL, KNOWLEDGE, LUCK and being UNLUCKY. And LIFE'S Little Lessons.

I'm originally from Maine where I did alot of saltwater fishing of course, growing up on that beautiful coastline.

I got to Texas when I was 10 and grew up in Houston.

My Dad & I continued to fish the coast mainly with occasional visits to Rayburn, Livingston and Conroe.

We fished from the bank or pier as we never owned a boat, on the coast fishing from a bank or a pier teaches you alot about fishing without producing alot of fish.

Well in 2007 just before my Dad passed away he said something profound.

"Why did I do things in life the way I did. Stressing, worrying about $$, people and life in general. Not doing the things I always wanted to do. Like buying a boat for fishing, shooting a deer. I never got to do the things I really wanted to do, I wasted so much time."

Being a single Dad with 3 sons, I told them what their Grandpa had said and that I felt he had told me this for a reason.

Up to this point in my life I gained alot of fishing knowledge without becoming what would be considered a great freshwater fisherman.

Well with my Dad's words ringing in my ears, I decided even though I was struggling for cash that I would purchase a kayak, which a couple of weeks later turned into 3 kayaks (I still have 2 sons 17 & 13 living with me, 3rd son is in college).

So armed with my knowledge and my new kayaks. I now had an advantage that I'd never had before.

I was on the water with the fish, able to move to the locations that I had known for so long held fish and use tactics that I learned from so many days on the bank and pier.

I had never caught any LMB to write home about.

My 17 year old son and I were in our kayaks here in Central Texas.

Wouldn't you know it but I broke my rod tip while launching.

My son asked if I wanted to leave and I said "H%ll No, we just launched and we're here and we're gonna fish."

It was a beautiful day, however there were lots of powerboats and fisherman on the Lake.

We'd been fishing awhile, my son already caught a few dinks and he kept telling me he "was whuppin me" he felt bad I broke my rod and I wasn't catching any" he knows I live for my sons & fishing.

Meanwhile, I'm watching these guys about 100 yards away in their Bassboats burning up to this rock cliff casting to it hot and heavy. Several boats did this for about 30-45 minutes not catching anything and burning off to another location.

I told my son "that spots fishy let's paddle over there" we get over there and he hooks 2 6 lb'rs right away and me still nothing.

So I cast under this cliff and I get a hit, doesn't seem to be anything major just a hit, this fish begins to go around my kayak and my son starts screeming "Oh my God, that things HUGE." I still haven't seen this fish but my son has and doesn't stop yelling.

Here I am broken tip, not having caught any all day when I get a glimpse of what appears to be a very large fish and at this point he starts to fight and pull my kayak and me in it.

M sons yelling this whole time "dont lose him, he's HUGE bring him in."

However, with all my knowledge and skill and luck there's a couple of things you should know.

I have no knowledge of the ShareLunker Program, nor do I have a camera. Mine had fallen into the water 2 weeks earlier at Lighthouse Lakes in Port A.

What did I catch, a LMB 25.5" and between 13-15lbs.

I was dumbfounded, my son was in Awe.

That wonderful experience we all live for catching a dream once in a lifetime bass, me and my son that day on the water could not believe this beautiful creature was in my lap on my kayak.

I have no picture, I have no proof, other than the experience my son and I shared that day on the water because of what My Dad had said GOD REST HIS SOUL.

And as strange as it may seem, I felt like my Dad was there with us that day too.

I sure miss you Dad.

That beautiful fish was released, hopefully I'll catch him again when I have my camera.
Flyfisher for men likes this.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Fantastic story, Roofish!

Blessings to you and your sons.

Don't know if you've ever done this, but a big trip is a great way to build the memories. My father and I and my uncle (his eldest brother, now 86) took a trip to the west coast on the Lewis and Clark trail--just a rough agenda of how far we ought to be by a certain day and we camped every night on the way--sometimes in nice state parks, sometimes in a field because that's all there was available. Our entertainment, aside from various museum admissions, was campfires and a deck of cards (Those two yahoos took me to the cleaners pretty much nightly).

We still talk about it like it was yesterday. Incredible memories.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM

idnative1948 is on a distinguished road

Any time the both of you can spend time together at this stage of his life will be quality time neither of you will forget.
Life is too short to put off these experiences.