The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:58 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Gotta love my 82 year old father!

My Father came for a visit yesterday, and the first thing he said to me was, "How much vacation time you got?"

Apparently he bought a new outboard motor and wants to try it out ASAP. We're alread plotting a camping/fishing trip for the late spring/early summer.

He's not a flyfisherman himself, so Ill be using mostly spinning gear. But you gotta love it when the man's 82, has the health of a man who's 60, and the sass of a guy that just turned 21.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gotta love my 82 year old father!

With his final words on the final episode of the long running TV show The Fishin' Hole host Jerry McKinnis said something that I've never forgotten.

"Take your dad fishing, or your mom.
Heck with this "take your kid fishing" - take your dad fishing."
Old 03-18-2013, 07:20 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
With his final words on the final episode of the long running TV show The Fishin' Hole host Jerry McKinnis said something that I've never forgotten.

Heck with this "take your kid fishing" - take your dad fishing."
Absolutely, Riptide, absolutely!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[b
Heck with this "take your kid fishing" - take your dad fishing."[/b]
That's great. Really great.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Gotta love my 82 year old father!

That's absolutely wonderful that the two of you can share more memories fishing together! Some of the fondest memories of my childhood are fishing with my father and grandfather. Here's to lots of great outings together for both of you.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

As the others have said, what a great opportunity to spend quality time with your father! Best of luck and be sure to take some photos of the trip and be sure to post a trip report when you get back, we don't care if it is spinning gear or not.
jaybo41, bugslinger and yonder like this.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:42 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

Awesome!!!

I'd give my left you know what to have a chance to take my pops fishing one last time..... I sure miss that guy, he had to leave too damn soon!
fysh likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that quote so well because in my father's later years it meant so much to him to have me take him "fishing"

He had ALS and was in a wheelchair so we weren't really fishing but we'd go hang out at a river near his house where there was a fly-only area with wheelchair accessible ramps. This single pool was heavily stocked and a lot of people, (many of whom should have been elsewhere) fished there.
I'd bring sandwiches and beers and we would sit up on the bank for hours.
If the sun was right, you could see right to the bottom and watch the trout that could not be seen from river level.
It was great fun.... for both of us.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:46 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

Take him as often as he wants to go, call in sick,cancell what ever. The regrets will be less and the memorys will help you cope.

Charlie
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

That's great!
Enjoy all the time you can with your father. These are the days you'll never forget.

Chris
jaybo41 likes this.