The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: want opinions on fly fishing vests....

I wish I could find a vest that holds a water bottle! That's another downside
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM

bugslinger is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=powderfinger;538443]going to purchase a vest. which one do u like ? does anyone have the fishpond flint hills and,if so, do u like it? pros and cons.....thanks![/QUOTe

My advice is to try all the ones you can afford on. Put fly boxes,tippets,etc. in all the pockets and eliminate the ones that don't work for you. Your either a fan of vests or your not, I am the later and fish with a sling bag or usualy a lanyard and wading jacket with alll the flys that will be fished that day either in the wading jacket of waders. Vests are fine in moderate weather, they are too hot in the summer and inhibit what you wear under them to be exculded when fishing in cold weather. Have a good time looking for the one you want not what your buddys wear.

charlie
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM

lacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of lightlacanadio is a glorious beacon of light

SWMBO gave me a Fishpond Sagebrush vest for B-day. Pros: you can carry mucho stuff, including large fly boxes, extra spools, etc. and you can hang things damn near everywhere. Con: you can carry TOO much stuff. That said, I like it for summer: it's almost entirely mesh, so it stays cool and, loaded judiciously, it's relatively light. Plus, given the source, I'd BETTER wear it (and don't mind a bit).

Bob
Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 PM

cletus will become famous soon enoughcletus will become famous soon enough

I have the Flint Hills and really like it. Lightweight but carries everything I need, including the requisite fishing beverage. I also have the Arroyo chest pack which I use in the summer. I wasn't sure I'd like the strap around my neck but I don't even notice it.

IMO, a lot of vests out there will carry the number and types of boxes you will need. One thing to consider is how much you want to be able to carry in the back pouch (ie. food, rain gear, extra clothes, etc)?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacanadio View Post
... and you can hang things damn near everywhere. Con: you can carry TOO much stuff....
I think that's the transition point we eventually need to make. How much is too much and do I really need it (all). My vest is good for carrying everything, tossing in the jeep and just heading out but the bottom line is I rarely use everything I carry. I'm thinking maybe a sling pack might suit me better.

What's this talk about room to carry a water bottle? Gents I think we need to reprioritize our gear list and water is definitely below an extra can of beer. SF
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Pros: Can hold everything you need to fish
Cons: It WILL hold everything you need to fish and will weigh 100 pounds

Two years ago I went to the Simms waist pack and never looked back. I would also give a hard look at Umpqua's new line of packs they just came out with.

Randy
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I use an inexpensive canvas vest that holds all I need. I have a separate neoprene beer cozy that hangs around my neck. If it rips it is all good.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
My vest is good for carrying everything, tossing in the jeep
I wouldn't recommend tossing the jeep into your vest unless you also get one of those lumbar-reinforced wading belts.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
I wouldn't recommend tossing the jeep into your vest unless you also get one of those lumbar-reinforced wading belts.
But if hes selling the vest, and tossing in the jeep for free, I'll take it.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
I wish I could find a vest that holds a water bottle! That's another downside
So yes. You can get 'Fanny Packs' that have 'pockets' for them, but never saw one on a vest. That said, I haven't used a vest in years. You have a pocket, there should be something stuffed into same. Stuff you don't use, stuff you really don't need, etc. Front pocket in my chest waders cares the odd bits I need like a single spool of leader, etc.. And a couple small boxes of flies.

For 'tools' I have a set of forecepts with a bit of cord hanging below: nail clippers, hook file and the most important bit: A police whistle! That Puppy is a major 'safety tool' if you really need to call for help.

Summer time the chest waders are replaced by belt highs, and then I'll use that fanny pack, and carry a tad more stuff ... most of which will never see the light of day over the course of a fishing trip.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Missed this post, and a great laugh. Have a Jeep and use a Simm's lumbar belt. Yellow Lab just looks at me and 'Where the heck am I to sit down' with all the 'stuff' in back of the Liberty. One of these days I'm going to pull out all that 'stuff' and sort it out.

fae
brucerducer likes this.