The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM

iascaire is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on Newfoundland?

Hi,
First time posting on this side of the forum.
I'm heading to Newfoundland(from Ireland) April 29th to May 22nd. I am of course taking my fly rods with me!

I've been trying to research what fish are in season and where during this time... I have figured out that salmon fishing only starts on June 1st but as far as I know there might be trout/char fishing available??

Has anyone fished there at that time of year? or point me in the right direction for looking up this information. Any advice for finding a useful map would be really appreciated too.

Thanks in advance,
Johannes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on Newfoundland?

No, but I live in the same Atlantic Region. Not sure on all the regulations and guide requirements, however a friend of mine is going and mentioned fishing in Gross Mourn National Park. Its huge with, I believe both Salmon and trout. He mentioned that a guide is not a requirement within park boundaries (not sure about this but worth looking into) Prolly just need a park license. Guides are a must elsewhere. Amazing fishing from what I've heard. MAy be worth calling their 1 800 tourism line. Could get lots of info and questions answered there. Plus they are very friendly and would gladly link you to someone who does know. I envy you, and I live pretty close to it. But it represents quite a commitment and expense. Have fun !

Here's a link to their site

Order Travel Brochures
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this thread, it might provide some insight.
Newfoundland Brown Trout Video and Articles

Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM

schooner36 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Advice on Newfoundland?

I drove thru a lot of Labrador and Newfoundland in 2010. As a non-resident, I found out that I could not stop and fish in a stream if it had salmon unless I had a guide.
Since I love to stop along the road for an hour or two in a situation like that, I was really disappointed.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Google Newfoundland+fishing regulations. Lots of great 'hits.'
Fred
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Another surprise was: "Beyond 800 meters of a provincial highway, non-residents may not fish unless accompanied by a licensed guide or a direct relative who is a resident of the province."

I mentioned that and a warden said it is wild country.
I asked him if he had ever been to Alaska.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 AM

iascaire is on a distinguished road

Thanks a million for the replies, really appreciate it!

Interesting links too, seems like it might be worth spending a few days fishing around St. Johns.

Seems like there's a fair few hoops to jump through. We'll see what happens when I get there and I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks again,
Johannes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 AM

bobbrown is on a distinguished road

I stayed in Gros Morne for a month a couple years ago. There were 2 rivers in the park I fished. Lomond and east trout brook. East trout brook is right under the bridge before you get to the visitor center. Actually had a pretty good run of salmon when it rained. The lomond is really pretty and a walk in from roadside parking. Bought the correct liscenses. Asked everybody at. Visitors center about the no guide provincial park policy......never an answer. Asked every law guy I saw...never got an answer.
Fished very openly..and without worry.,,,on east trout brook. On the Lomond, which has guides and a lodge, seeked out places where I would be alone.
There is a road that goes next to the Lomond. I parked at the gravel lot on the right a couple miles up from the bay. Also, higher up there is parking in a gravel pit or logging place right before the road crosses the river. Go up stream from there and you will find a great pool.
With out the guiding regulation certainty I never felt really comfortable on the Lomond
Even though I was told by some law guys ok..others not. But never had any
Hassles..talked to local guys on the river and no one ever said a word
I'd still check it out pretty carefully!!!!
mcnerney, noreaster and iascaire like this.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM

Even though I don't like some of the fishing regulations there, I really like the island and the people. They will go out of their way to help you, and I enjoyed talking to every one I met.
We had a Newfoundland dog with us. They aren't as common up there as most would think, and most of the locals and tourists got a big smile when they saw her.
One stop that is real interesting is L'Anse aux Meadows, the home of a Viking settlement that goes back 1000 years or more. This is a big park with new facilities and they have good tours. It is in the north, near the ferry to Labrador.
mcnerney and noreaster like this.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
I stayed in Gros Morne for a month a couple years ago. There were 2 rivers in the park I fished. Lomond and east trout brook. East trout brook is right under the bridge before you get to the visitor center. Actually had a pretty good run of salmon when it rained. The lomond is really pretty and a walk in from roadside parking. Bought the correct liscenses. Asked everybody at. Visitors center about the no guide provincial park policy......never an answer. Asked every law guy I saw...never got an answer.
Fished very openly..and without worry.,,,on east trout brook. On the Lomond, which has guides and a lodge, seeked out places where I would be alone.
There is a road that goes next to the Lomond. I parked at the gravel lot on the right a couple miles up from the bay. Also, higher up there is parking in a gravel pit or logging place right before the road crosses the river. Go up stream from there and you will find a great pool.
With out the guiding regulation certainty I never felt really comfortable on the Lomond
Even though I was told by some law guys ok..others not. But never had any
Hassles..talked to local guys on the river and no one ever said a word
I'd still check it out pretty carefully!!!!
Nice synopsis, really helpful information. I bet the people don't really care about all the regulations. Those reg.'s are prolly there to protect the less experienced outdoors people. That is some rugged terrain and it's vastness knows few bounds. Weekend warriors could easily find themselves going hypothermic lost in the woods. Honestly would be worth getting a guide for some of the time anyway. the guides and local economies could use the work. The knowledge and stories you would hear would have you doubling over with laughter and of course on good fish too.

I was there once with a buddy, we hitched rides. This one trucker had us laughing so hard. Everyone was referred to as "Cocky". His parting advice? "You'll be fine Cocky, just remember to tarp your load!"