The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default OK, southerners... Flyfishing for shellcrackers

That's redear sunfish for us yankees.

As I described in another thread, my father and I look to be taking a trip to a local lake later this spring. Redears/shellcrackers look to be the best species for this lake in the fishing forecasts.

Any particular flies? I've got the usual nymphs, buggers, etc. that you'd use for bluegills.

Should I get a sinking line?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: OK, southerners... Flyfishing for shellcrackers

I used to have a nice pond for bass/bream (which includes shellcrackers) when I lived in South Carolina. If you're fishing in spring, the sc's could well be on their beds, which means they will terrorize flies. For me, popping bugs would be the way to go. Woolly buggers and the like will work really well, too. I wouldn't (and didn't) bother with sinkers or sinktips for that fishing; it was easy to stay in the zone with a floating line.

My take on it, anyway.
Gary
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I used to have a nice pond for bass/bream (which includes shellcrackers) when I lived in South Carolina. If you're fishing in spring, the sc's could well be on their beds, which means they will terrorize flies. For me, popping bugs would be the way to go. Woolly buggers and the like will work really well, too. I wouldn't (and didn't) bother with sinkers or sinktips for that fishing; it was easy to stay in the zone with a floating line.

My take on it, anyway.
Gary
Thanks, Gary. We will probably be fishing either late may or mid June.
My first fish on a fly was actually a redear from this lake. It was more by accident, though.

Flyfisher for men AKA Fr. Marion
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

Small Yellow poppers and Yellow craft foam spiders would be in my fly box. Some soft hackles of different colors for the mid water column and then I would have some Blind Squirrels both weighted with beadchain and some unweighted.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Did very well on some real bruiser Shellcrackers in Santee Cooper on small sparsely tied Clousers. Like Bluegills on steroids!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

If you think those are on steroids, you should see the pumpkinseeds around here. They look like Lance Armstrong's dealer.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Briminators have worked well for me.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:44 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
If you think those are on steroids, you should see the pumpkinseeds around here. They look like Lance Armstrong's dealer.
Oh I know about those monster Ma Pumpkinseeds! We have the same big Pumps on Li ,dark big and fight like all get out! My son held the WR for Pumpkinseed at one time! Awesome little fish! Here in Pa we have big Seeds but not like the bruisers in Ma or LI!

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

And I think Dan said there are some mega Pumpkinseeds by him as well!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-20-2013, 03:01 PM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

My mother....at a youthful 70!!!.... prefers flying black ants and mosquito patterns in the early morning and evening at our local lake.
cw76 likes this.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM

Briminiators and Blind Squirrels...

I've got to investigate these and do some tying.