The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Ever have a reel freeze?

I've never had a reel freeze up, but I have had tippet spools freeze up on me. Sorry, not much help here.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
I went fishing in the Rockies yesterday and I had a bit of a problem with my reel. I got a good sized rainbow and managed to land it. But after that whenever I hooked a fish the reel would either go so slack so that the line would just wind off the reel, or with one turn of the drag wheel it would totally freeze up not letting any line out at all. Needless to say I lost every fish I hooked after that because I couldn't control the line.

It's a disc drag reel and has been pretty smooth. Once I got it home it seems just fine. The only thing I can think is that I got some water in there and it froze somehow?

Is that a thing? Does that happen to reels in really cold weather?
Dam, looks like it's time for a new fly rod, reel, fly line, boots, waders and a bottle of Aberlour.
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenflyfishing View Post
Poke 'Em, I would be happy to take a look at reel. That's an issue we seldom run into. I'd like to not have that happen again to you. If you can send the reel in please let me know. Please email me at info@allenflyfishing.com

bassguitarplayer - I know you don't have our reel. But, I have parts for a lot of reels. I'd be happy to take a look at your reel and see if one of our bearings or several others parts that i have will work in your reel to prevent you from having future issues. If this is something you would like. Please feel free to send me an email at info@allenflyfishing.com for an address to send the reel into.

Thanks

Justin
Justin, do your reels keep water out of the bearings?

I'm totally broke which is why I bought a $50 reel. But as I said it's been totally smooth up until yesterday. And now it's fine.

I guess my philosophy on buying fishing gear is to get the best bang-for-the-buck stuff. I think it comes from my grandpa that never bought an expensive piece of fishing gear in his life. I have a $100 rod, a $50 reel, a $20 vest, a $40 net... the only nice things I have are a good pair of boots and one of those Sage springy zip line things because my girlfriend bought it for me. HAHA. And I can catch as many fish as the guys with all the nicest stuff. In fact, I probably catch more than most of them. Not bragging, just saying.

What's my point? Oh yeah, tell me about the Allen reels. Would they solve a freezing problem like that?

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
Dam, looks like it's time for a new fly rod, reel, fly line, boots, waders and a bottle of Aberlour.
I wish.

And I prefer Laphroaig.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I have a huge list of things that have froze before, but most of those include body parts, I have luckily never seen a reel freeze.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Back in the good old days, discussions regarding frozen reels were right at the top of the list amongst steelheaders since they often fished in subfreezing weather. Reel manufacturers would commonly make claims that their reels were somewhat resistant to freezing in cold weather.

About half way down this page -

http://www.johnnagysteelheadguide.co...john-nagy.html

-Accidentally dunking your fly reel in the water is a “no-no” for the winter steelheader. The reel can quickly freeze-up and bind in sub-freezing air temperatures. Your windshield heater blower comes in handy to quickly thaw/dry frozen reels (although a complete drying will be required later to remove all the water in the reel).

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 AM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road

Correct me if I am wrong, since I am still somewhat new, but isn't that one of the points of a sealed drag reel? I know it keeps sand and sediment out too but guys always take fish pictures with their reels sitting in the water, and I would hesitate to do that.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

It happens when water gets into the one way bearings and freezes. Keep from dunking your reel, and use a very light oil to lubricate.
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:47 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I've never had a Reel literally Freeze Up,I've had The Line Stick to The Guides many times however at times I like many others have "Dunked my Reel in The Drink",put My Rod & Reel down & it has picked up some Dirt,Grit,Clay,etc,etc between The Spool & The Rim.
I don't use Petroleum Products on my Reels anymore as in The Past I used Petroluem Jelly,I now use Lanoline Grease or a Lanoline Based Spray which doesn't Dry Out.
Brian.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:14 PM

rccola712 will become famous soon enough

It's funny you bring this up, I just found this article on Gink & Gasoline (an awesome fly fishing blog if you've never read it) ginkandgasline.com Here's a link of one of the writers having some issues landing a big rainbow in freezing conditions. Interesting read!!

Snow Day | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."
~ Arnold Gingrich
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM

bassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura aboutbassguitarplayer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccola712 View Post
It's funny you bring this up, I just found this article on Gink & Gasoline (an awesome fly fishing blog if you've never read it) ginkandgasline.com Here's a link of one of the writers having some issues landing a big rainbow in freezing conditions. Interesting read!!

Snow Day | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog
Wow that was a great story. Exactly what happened to me except I didn't have the wits to dunk my reel in the water. Thanks for sharing that!