The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ever have a reel freeze?

I've had it happen to a Ross Evolution. Happens when I get moisture in the reel and when it is freezing outside.

Randy
bassguitarplayer likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM

little yellow humpy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Justin makes it might hard for me to not own an Allen rod or reel. Might just have to add a Kraken to the line up just because this kind of customer service is unheard of. Looking at a non-Allen reel? Nicely played!
Really? I ordered a reel from them about FIVE weeks ago. No reel, no word. Now that's unheard of.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Business Member

allenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to allallenflyfishing is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by little yellow humpy View Post
Really? I ordered a reel from them about FIVE weeks ago. No reel, no word. Now that's unheard of.
little yellow humpy, The order could have been closed by mistake. With Kyle coming on replacing Gavin he could have made an error. It's never fun, but mistakes can happen.

We did have some Alpha II closeout reels that were late due to us running out because of a miscount of stock. All those customers were contacted and received a new Alpha III or Kraken reel.

We can be reached at info@allenflyfishing.com, evan@allenflyfishing.com, kyle@allenflyfishing.com or my cell phone at 574-855-7100 many customers also text msg late into the night as well. All the contact info is on our About Us page.

I'm traveling right now in MN at a Trade show. I can't look up your name from your screen name. Please email me your information at info@allenflyfishing.com and before the show starts tomorrow I'll get ahold of Kyle and get you taken care of.

Other than the Alpha II closeout reels that we stated expected shipping dates on the site. We ship same or next day.

Thank you,

Justin
Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

I had a reel seize up and not from frozen water. I discussed it in the Reel Section thread about (Albright/Sea Level) "Tempest" reels. These are solidly built Korean made reels that can perform quite well. The drag is strong but of a non-sealed hub design which is very difficult to disassemble. It features a sandwiched cork disc which doubles the surface area of sweep by utilizing booth sides. I had several of these reels and caught some impressive fish on them but, in this instance, I was trout fishing on a large western river when, while fighting a good trout off the reel, it just froze and, pop, the fish is gone. What the... I de-rigged popped out the spool and saw nothing wrong, re-rigged and...over the next hour or so the reel alternately worked fine, froze or free-spooled. Back in camp I selected a different reel. Back home, I talked with a saltwater guide friend who, like me, had obtained several of these reels. "You've got to soak that cork assembly at zero drag setting with as much neatsfoot oil as you can get in there then wipe away the excess or the cork will glaze on you at the worst moment", he advised. Then added, "However, if the push-button spool release fails, just throw it away." He's got none left, I do but they sit in a drawer...once a reel fails on me in the field, it is permanently a looser.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
"You've got to soak that cork assembly at zero drag setting with as much neatsfoot oil as you can
I only had one reel freeze up on me. It was a real cheap club reel. That was almost expected of a reel for the price we paid.
In frreezing rain, salt... anywhere I've been lucky at never having a reel even hiccup on me. I do maaintain them and on every one of them back the drag off when not in use.

Bauer no longer recommended neatsfoot oil on their cork drags when I called them to go over a reel donated to our club. Neetsfoot oil is organic and can get rancid I was told. I use the synthetic juice that comes with their reels. To be sure I just checked the Bauer web site and on it they still recommend neatsfoot oil.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Tibor prefers a synthetic cork treatment too but Abel recommends neatsfoot oil. One normally uses but a few drops and rubs it in with ones fingers...I've never had an odor or mold issue for sure. In the case I am talking about, a quantity was applicable because very little actually found its way into the inaccessible cork surfaces. Hub drag assemblies are far from my favorite unless they are of the newer "sealed" variety. It is, however, tough to seal a drag that is also designed to be reversible...if you can get to the one-way bearing, so can contaminants. Keep it clean, store it dry with the drag set to zero is always wise but good design remains most important.