The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 PM

boomslang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smith Optics vs Costa Del Mar

Costa 580 in copper and go fishing.........smiths are okay...but, does not come close to costas - both in price and quality....
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Smith Optics vs Costa Del Mar

Costas for sure. I worked at a sporting goods retailer for quite some time, and I took just about everypair of sunglasses outside for a test on colors and clarity. For me the Costas were the best, but everyones' eyes are different. Ask the retailer if you can step outside with them and take a look at natural colors. Revo also makes a very high quality set, but they are not aimed for the fisherman in mind. If you want to save some cash don't hesitate on the glass 400 Costas either. I've got a set and they are wonderful to look through. The 580 is a tad better, but it is not a night and day difference.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:04 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have two pair of the Costa glasses, 1 pair of the 580 and one 400. Both are awesome. The 580's are just awesome. The warranty is one thing you need to look at with Costa, not cheap, at least they were a couple of years ago. My buddy has a pair of Smiths, and they are nice, but he likes my 580's better.

Craig
Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 pr of Maui Jim's glass lens sunglasses in copper and rose, and Costa 400 glass copper lenses. They are about the same. I'm looking to pick up a pair of Costa 580 glass to see if it is superior.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-21-2013, 04:46 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Axle, I do not know how close to a Cabela's store you are, but if you can get to one, check out the bargain cave. I have bought 5 pair there (3 for gifts) and I didn't pay more than $100 for any of them....all had the 580 glass.

I have severe problems with my vision( corneal disease). Right now I am wearing reading glasses in addition to my surgically fitted hard contact lenses, and I am still squinting. My Opthamologist told me that sunglasses were a necessity, and he ordered me to buy Costa's....and he doesn't sell them! Good enough for me!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:22 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

That's the ones my brother-in-law have.

Another problem is that I'm real particular about the sunglasses I buy. Right now, I use Oakley Half jacket XJ's, which I love. The clarity is good, but nothing like the Costa's, tho. But, half the cost of the Costas. Now, I've tried on several models of the Costa's and the Brine is the one. I think that a good all around lens is the copper, but I'm not sure.

I don't know if there's anyplace that I can try on the Smith's.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I have the Man O War 580s and also grabbed the Corbina 580s recently, both in blue mirror because I use them the most while fishing the salt. I plan on picking up the Corbinas in Green Mirror or other light color in the near future for fishing shaded streams. Even with cloudy skies and tree cover, the blue mirror does better than you would expect.

Don't think I will ever buy another brand.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

I got a pair of 580's the end of this last summer and I can say that I will not be buying anything else. I don't think you can beat the clarity of the lenses. Also I am hard on glasses and they have held up with what I have put them through.
mrfzx likes this.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I've had both and prefer the Costa's for sure, just received some old swordfishes back from the company with Nice new lenses. After a few fatalities over the side of boats, in rivers(or left on a bar after too many Cuba libre's) I don't go anywhere with my shades on without croakies XL's. Best 8 bucks I've spent in a while.
mrfzx likes this.

Last edited by cw76; 03-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Just an FYI...

The Green Mirror 580G Costa lens is a copper lens with a green mirror finish, by far my favorite.

The Blue Mirror are a little bit darker tint than my green mirror lenses are, I find the green to be the perfect model for my eyes...

If I mainly fished fresh water, I would go with green mirror...
woodrivertroutbum likes this.