The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Re: Smith Optics vs Costa Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Today we stopped at the South Fork Outfiiers shop in Swan Valley, ID to buy fishing licenses, they had the Costa sunglasses, after trying on a pair I pulled the trigger and bought the 580g in the green mirror.

Larry
That's a sweet lens. I just gave a pair of Costas with that lens to my baby brother for his birthday.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I've always been a fan of Smith Optics. Last night on ebay I came across a pair of polarchromic brown lens Moguls for $60. Didn't take much to twist my arm to jump on those.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM
thepiper

I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I sight fish for carp a lot and I love my smiths. The contrast is fantastic.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:40 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

To close the loop on this thread, I ended up with a pair of Smith Optics Backdrops with the Copper Polarchromic mirror lenses.
mcnerney and itchmesir like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:06 AM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road

I have Smith, Costa, and Native eyewear and prefer the Costas over all of them. I have the silver reflective lens which is perfect for freshwater streams. You should check out Costas lens color selector page, it outlines which color is best for your type of fishing.

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sun...chnology/color
Old 04-01-2014, 10:16 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

Smith wins again now I can get some rest.
itchmesir and andrew_rigsby like this.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:54 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'm interested in Smith's new Chromapop lens... Now if only I could find a pair of those for $60 like I did my polarchromics

“You can’t waste your life making money, and then go back and try to buy your life back.”
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I am a huge fan of Revo's sunglasses. I have a pair with the blue water lens and they practically catch the fish for you.

- Tyler

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This is exactly the lengthy and thorough thread I was hoping existed!

I lost my old Action Optics the other day, though close to 10 years old they were nice glasses, more than a hundred bucks at the time.

I'm leaning heavily toward replacing them with a pair of Costa's, and I tend to make this comparison as soon as I have time, but till then does anyone have experience with the 400g vs 580g vs 580p? Someone on this thread a while back said the difference between the 400 and 580 glass isn't huge. What about 400g vs 580p? Is the lesser technical glass better than the the high tech plastic?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:16 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is on a distinguished road

after 20 + years I'm still wearing "Fluing Fisherman" sunglasses they are out of Tavernier Florida in the Keys...I've had Costas and more and still go back to my Flying Fishermen glasses