The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 AM

nctribute is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Smith Optics vs Costa Del Mar

There is more to just the lens, but how the frames fit your face. I have Costa 580g and Smith Polarchromic glasses, both are great. I prefer the Smith's and have done a decent amount of side by side comparison. I then purchased a second pair of Simth's in a different frame, these are noticeably different. A side by side with the Costa's with the second pair, the Costa's come out on top. So the moral of the story is finding a pair that fits your face and has good lens, regardless of brand.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:29 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctribute View Post
There is more to just the lens, but how the frames fit your face. I have Costa 580g and Smith Polarchromic glasses, both are great. I prefer the Smith's and have done a decent amount of side by side comparison. I then purchased a second pair of Simth's in a different frame, these are noticeably different. A side by side with the Costa's with the second pair, the Costa's come out on top. So the moral of the story is finding a pair that fits your face and has good lens, regardless of brand.
I know fit is key...which is why buying online is a **** shoot unfortunately. I have a pair of Smith Action Optics, the Sol-X lens at the time was their best. they are polarchromic glass and are crisp and super sweet. but they were given as a gift and while they fit well and work for general use they let way too much light in around the sides, they do not fit close, and are not good on the water.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 PM

james w 3 3 has a spectacular aura aboutjames w 3 3 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I know fit is key...which is why buying online is a **** shoot unfortunately. I have a pair of Smith Action Optics, the Sol-X lens at the time was their best. they are polarchromic glass and are crisp and super sweet. but they were given as a gift and while they fit well and work for general use they let way too much light in around the sides, they do not fit close, and are not good on the water.

Soooooo, the bottom line is that sunglasses are like fly rods!

You have to try them out on the water before you can be 100% sure they're the ones.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

In a perfect world, yes, but being able to test out and compare 3 or 4 rods, or pairs sunglasses, on the water is rarely if ever possible. So the best we do is stand in a parking lot and cast or look through different shades. But with glasses even more than rods, I wish I could take some options to a river.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 PM

Still looking so still researching ... ah the internet and spare time, the 21st C rabbit hole!

One of the ways I research any techie thing I buy is to search for the problems, not the praises. There are plenty of praises, and in 95% of the comparisons the Costa people are a little nutty. "Nothing even comes close!" all that stuff. I think part of it is that when you pay $225+ for a pair of glasses you convince yourself that they are the best on the planet, I understand, I do it too.

When searching for poor reviews I am troubled by the number of complaints about the customer service and the warranty at Costa. Like so many "lifetime" warranties there are decent charges to get things fixed. There are a lot of complaints about this. Less, but still enough to trouble me are the complaints about the rubber on the stems wears and comes apart from the plastic frame, this is a common issue. Even less so, but more than a few experience the lens lamination breaking down. It's all repair or replaceable, but with the known service issue I am scared off.

Smith on the other hand, I know the quality as my last pair was still great 10 years later before the vanished! The polarization is sealed between two layers of glass, forever. The frames are made in Italy, not Taiwan. And I really like the chromatic, or light adjusting, feature.

I am leaning toward Smiths again...
Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 PM

pheldozer is on a distinguished road

have had several pairs from both brands, and smith's chromapop lenses that came out this year(ish) are the best lenses on the market right now.