The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HURRY UP, ORVIS 50% sale on Battenkill Bar Stock Reels this weekend only

I have a 1-3 for my 2wt rod. It is a very small reel. It works just fine but don't think I'd be bothered by the next size up.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: HURRY UP, ORVIS 50% sale on Battenkill Bar Stock Reels this weekend only

Hmmm....Idk. The new BBS reels look pretty sexy. Might have to hang in there.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I stopped in the shop this afternoon, they haven't stocked any BBS reels since last summer. The guy there said Orvis is discontinuing the BBS and focusing on the Access. Too bad.

Nick, I have the old traditional click and pawl Battenkill reel - the BBS's older brother - I use the 3/4 on my 8' 2 WT and I think it's fine, though I've never had anything smaller to compare it to.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Hard to imagine folks on this forum agreeing to something like which reel to buy. If you wait for that to happen before buying any gear you'll save a lot of money.
I got more confused and distracted more then ever when I asked the forum about some gears.

I already made the payment for the BBS V, but then I cancelled the order. Something in me was telling me it wasn't the right thing to do since I just bought an Allen Kraken 3 reel and the shipment is not even arrive yet (Impulse buying).
Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I stopped in the shop this afternoon, they haven't stocked any BBS reels since last summer. The guy there said Orvis is discontinuing the BBS and focusing on the Access. Too bad.

Nick, I have the old traditional click and pawl Battenkill reel - the BBS's older brother - I use the 3/4 on my 8' 2 WT and I think it's fine, though I've never had anything smaller to compare it to.
What? Discontinuing it? That's too bad. Access are a different aesthetic and I don't know that I've heard a bad thing about BBS. I wasn't going to pull the trigger but now I'm rethinking it...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
What? Discontinuing it? That's too bad. Access are a different aesthetic and I don't know that I've heard a bad thing about BBS. I wasn't going to pull the trigger but now I'm rethinking it...
That is only what the old guy in the shop said, so if you need an excuse to buy one, here it is. Blame me!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:32 PM

max tangler is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: HURRY UP, ORVIS 50% sale on Battenkill Bar Stock Reels this weekend only

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
im going to guess its for US only. since you said it yoruself u guys have 35% offer.
if you have friends in US, you can always paypal them and ask them to buy it for you. but it might not be worth the extra trouble if it gets stuck in customs.
tip: to increase your chances of not being stuck in customs, send it via FedEx fastest delivery option (overnight might be too expensive, but 2 day?) mark as b-day gift/personal item, etc. with express packages, there are so many of them that customs mostly lets them through and concentrates on larger/slower delivery option boxes/parcels. (i know this from experience, i ship for my work globally alot)
romanl - great advice. Thanks! We have some friends coming over from NJ later this year. Looks as if they might be bringing a really neat present!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for posting this, I purchased my brother a hydros last fall...... Have to admit I was not hugely impressed after handling it..............This deal you posted, It was just too good to pass up.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 AM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

They are discontinuing these because they are releasing new BBS reels that look really nice.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I was just thinking about getting a spare reel for my trip this summer...this is too good a deal to pass up. One on the way.