The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Frustrating time casting my new rod

A 4wt is a light rod and a 8wt is a heavy rod and the 8 will take more effort. They are different animals.

Many of todays rods are under rated IMO and need to be overlined to get any kind of 'feel'. Some even need 2 lines over depending on the caster. I never liked to 'need' to look over my shoulder to watch the line to make a cast. You can't watch the target when looking backwards and if you are sight fishing you might as well be sticking your thumb where it does not belong. I too, want to feel the rod load whether the rod is a 'fast' rod or a slow one. Feel is an absolute requirement IMO. Overline it and if you still can't feel it go up another weight but 2 weights is a lot and I doubt that it will be needed. Fly casting is an enjoyable activity in its own right. It is no fun to fight your equipment.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

common problem with many of todays " fast" rods. they are great lawn casters "man look how far i can cat this five weight with a five and a half line" yeah thats great but it sucks to fish with at normal ranges.alot of rods today need to be ovelined which means the arent what they say they are.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM

plecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really niceplecain is just really nice

My '3 wt' (labelled) Redington CPX has an ERN of 4.9.

When I asked Redington about it they said this rod likes to be overlined by 1/2 to a full line weight.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Frustrating time casting my new rod

My 8wt TFO cast very well with my 8wt line. Can cast 70 feet with a couple hauls. My 4wt is a different animal but still lined with 4t and can cast just fine.. Be sure your not trying to force your cast forward. Just try to feel the line and the road load. Also watch the rod load. I know forcing your forward cast and casting forward before the road loads it will cause the line to collapse. Also just forget about hauling for now and keep your finger on the string and just get a feel for the rod. Doing this helps me out a lot after casting my 8wt all day then grabbing my 4wt.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going up in line wt, you might also getting a more forward weighted fly line like a bass bug taper.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-24-2013, 02:20 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I didn't read all the posts here, but here's my two cents just the same.

I had a Redington CPX 9 ft. 5 wt., which was a cannon. But in order to feel it load I ended up having to overline it with Rio Grand 6 wt. line, which at the time was really 6.5 wt. line (I believe the new Grand is now a full plus one wt). As I experiemented with this rod and various line wts over the three years I had this rod, I found that even as my casting abilities developed, the rod never was happy with 5 wt. line. I did find that 7.5 wt. was too much, and that 6.5 wt. was pretty close to ideal. I would imagine that you should at least try 9 wt. line on your 8 wt., and 9.5 might be better.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 03-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:00 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
common problem with many of todays " fast" rods. they are great lawn casters "man look how far i can cat this five weight with a five and a half line" yeah thats great but it sucks to fish with at normal ranges.alot of rods today need to be ovelined which means the arent what they say they are.
This is purely an opinion based assumption. What may not feel like the true weight of a rod to some might feel perfectly lined with others. For instance I unconsciously double haul to some degree with every single cast I make consequently loading my rod much easier than those that don't. A faster rod (for me) is a more desirable rod in almost all fishing conditions whereas others think this feel is too stiff. Tossing all line ratings aside, one must experiment with different lines to get the "feel" they prefer with any specific rod. Also, the more practice put in allows one to adapt more quickly to many different feeling rods almost making it second nature. I say practice practice practice. A great lawn caster is almost always a great river caster.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 PM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

well you know more about rod design and casting than i or most people on here ever will but i do know when i see guys test cast rods at our shop the first thing they do is see how far they can throw it. then when i take them fishing and we do most of our fishing at 30 feet and under they wonder why there new high powered rocket launcher doest feel like the wonder rod they had outback. i may not know all the science and physics behind rod design but i do know what fishes best for ME on most of the water i fish and rods designed to be fished with a size over what they are rated for aint it.
double dry likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 9'0" CPX 8 wt. (I also have a 9'0" CPS 8 wt.; the predecessor of the CPX). Both rods cast well for me with an 8 wt. line.

The CPX is fast; but not much faster than a lot of the fast action rods on the market. It's certainly not in a league by itself when it comes to fast 8 wts. By comparison, something like a GLoomis GLX Max or a Scott S4S is, in my opinion, definitely in a league by itself when it comes to fast action.

I'd say what several of the poster have already said; go back out there, relax and see if you can find the rhythm with that rod.

One way to help with that is to stand in a 45 degree angle. Assuming that you're a righty, that means with your right foot about 45 degrees back and behind your left foot. This position will allow you to pivot your body when you cast and to watch the line on both your forward and back casts.

While in this position, try some water hauls with the rod. Get your fly out there 30 or so feet in front of you, take up any slack, water haul the back cast (with our without a small haul), watch it and start your forward cast before the line completely turns over; don't wait to feel the tug that you describe; just watch the line and the fly. Let your forward cast go and see how you like it. Keep trying this one back cast / one forward cast sequence until you like the forward cast that you're getting and are getting as much feedback (feel) from the rod as you think you can. Once you've got this working for you, then you can add a few more false casts if you need them to get the distance that you want.

I agree with Jackster in that if you're using the feel of the weighted fly and split shot as an indication of the rod loading, then you're probably well behind the actual loading of the rod. Once you feel the tug that you're describing, the line has already reached its maximum distance in the backward direction and has started to snap back toward you; before you've started your forward cast. What that means is that you're going to have some slack line to take care of before you can actually start to get your forward cast to work for you. And that will often times cause your line to puddle on your forward cast. So, don't wait for the jerk feeling; start your forward cast ahead of if.

Also, if you're not using a sink tip or a full sink line, then try one; maybe 250-350 grains, it will help you a lot with the feel of the rod, plus it will get your fly down deeper and faster, which could mean more fish on the line for you.

I use an 8 wt. primarily in the salt for Stripers. I have used them with Steelhead, although I usually prefer a stiff 7 st. for that.

Have fun with it. Figuring out how to get the most out of your gear is definitely part of the challenge of fly fishing. And everyone's formula for success is a little different. You'll find it; and if your progress is still slower than you'd like, then, as others have said, you can always up-line the rod. And remember, frustration is only something that you experience when you've refused to look at it as a challenge.

Pocono
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

Great comments above. Overline it and work on tempo, acceleration to a stop, and see if you can find someone to watch you. Best of luck.