The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 03:49 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Frustrating time casting my new rod

Got out with my new Redington CPX 9'6" 8wt today. It was a frustrating experience.

I know it's a fast rod, but I just couldn't carry enough line in the air to get it to load properly with WF8F and an unweighted streamer (by which I mean couldn't ever feel it load). Once I put a bead-head streamer and some split shot I could at least feel it load, but still couldn't get much consistent distance... a lot of times the line would just collapse out in front of me. Was trying to focus firm stops on my front and back casts, and trying to add hauls once in a while... but ugh. I will be ordering WF9F shortly to overline the sucker.

It was also pretty windy when I got on the water, that didn't help.

I'm still a novice, but I felt like at the end of last season my casting was coming along nicely, but that was primarily with my Loomis GL2 7'6" 4wt. Obviously these are very different animals though... I was surprised at how heavy the CPX felt today.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Frustrating time casting my new rod

Sorry to hear how frustrating your day was. I have a G.Loomis Cross Currant 9'9" 8wt and use SA streamer Express. I think it's 400 or 350 grain line. Casts my 8wt very well.

Craig

Last edited by shimloom; 03-30-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:09 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, a fast rod is not really the way to start. You might be loading it, but unaccustomed to feeling it. You can overline it, but that will slow it down. In turn, this means that you'd likely be better off with a slower action rod. Sometimes it take the right rod to fit how YOU cast...sometimes, it's finding out what the rod wants to come alive.

It's interesting that I read this because I just got back from throwing some line. I casted three different rods:

Orvis Western Series 8'9" 7wt with a BBS III and WF7F.
Hardy Demon 9'0" 7wt with a Allen & Co Trout and Airflo Bass/Musky taper WF7F
No-name 8'0" 5wt Bamboo with a Pflueger Medalist 1494 (I think) and WF5F

These rods are as different as night and day. The Western series casted fine, but the Demon is a cannon that is much faster. The Bamboo has millions of years between it and the others. I had to completely change how I casted this rod as it was much slower, weighed more and took less effort. I look forward to throwing dries with the 'boo in a few weeks.

Beyond this, if you casted a 4wt Loomis with some success, casting a fast 8wt may feel alot like trying to get a broomstick to load like the 4wt...it will, eventually, but it might be better to find one that mimics the 8wt.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM

tpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura abouttpo has a spectacular aura about

I had a similar experience with an 8wt rod, this one a Reddington RS3. I couldn't cast an 8 wt line (the one it came with) well at all, it was frustrating and I blamed it on the rod. Overlining with a 9wt made a big difference for me. I have a Reddington CPX in 8.5' 4wt and it feels on the heavy side for a 4 wt. I haven't had it on the water yet, but casting my "practice line" in the backyard, a WF6 line, the CPX did a pretty good job throwing that heavy line. Its possible this rod just runs on the heavy side and needs to be overlined to get decent performance.

Tom
Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

The streamer and split shot IMO will only make things worse. Just look over your shoulder at your back cast until you get the timing down. it shouldn't be that tough if you see whats going on behind you.
imxer, fysh and Guest1 like this.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
Got out with my new Redington CPX 9'6" 8wt today. It was a frustrating experience.

I know it's a fast rod, but I just couldn't carry enough line in the air to get it to load properly with WF8F and an unweighted streamer (by which I mean couldn't ever feel it load). Once I put a bead-head streamer and some split shot I could at least feel it load, but still couldn't get much consistent distance... a lot of times the line would just collapse out in front of me. Was trying to focus firm stops on my front and back casts, and trying to add hauls once in a while... but ugh. I will be ordering WF9F shortly to overline the sucker.

It was also pretty windy when I got on the water, that didn't help.

I'm still a novice, but I felt like at the end of last season my casting was coming along nicely, but that was primarily with my Loomis GL2 7'6" 4wt. Obviously these are very different animals though... I was surprised at how heavy the CPX felt today.
Here are two things that you can do.
1. Consider casting lessons. Knowing how to double haul is very important. A double haul increases line speed. More line speed means more load.
2. Overline the rod. Go to your local fly shop and try the rod with a WF9F or a WF10F.

Dennis
FrankB2 and ben664 like this.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking I might take some lessons in the next couple of months.

I do know how to double haul (at least in principle), but I find getting the timing right difficult when I'm having trouble feeling the rod load.

The extra weight from the split shot and the weighted streamer didn't necessarily make my casting better, but it did help me feel the rod load.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM

South Holston will become famous soon enough

There is a HUGE difference between a 4 wt. and an 8 wt. .. give it another try.. relax.. and don't try to push it...overpower it...
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

When you mentioned feeling the rod load with weighted sreamers and split shot, is it a short, sharp tug that you feel? The reason I ask is that that isn't really the rod loading, it's the weight reaching the end of its travel.
Some would say that feeling that, you're alresdy too late for going the other way. By the time you start the stroke in the other direction they say the line is already dropping thereby creating slack.
If it will be a while before you get help through a casting instructor a quick video here will help us greatly in helping you.
Enjoy the rod, it's fun and gratifying improving your cast.
imxer and Guest1 like this.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I learned to cast on a fast rod as well and it took me a bit before i could regularly feel it load up. Just be patient and keep practicing and it will come together. Lessons will make a big difference in helping you get the mechanics of your cast right.

My rod was a Redington as well. A Red.fly2. An inexpensive rod but had good action and was quality for the price point.

Just keep at it.