The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 PM

loydtruss is on a distinguished road
Default The Amazing Gloomis Venture 3 Fly Reel???

Hi Guys
I purchased two Gloomis Ventures 3 fly reels last year and really didnít know what I had until I actually got them in the mail. The description never mentioned how fast one can retrieve line back on the reel spool. In other words one can spin the reel face and take up large amounts of fly line at your feet in a matter of seconds. This one function just blew me away, because I have always had to retrieve the line on my fly reels using the handle on the reel which takes much more time as oppose to the free spool which is what I call this feature on this reel. This reel is extremely light and the Venture 3 is for line weight ĺ--this reel is no longer made by Gloomis, why I donít know. Does anyone know of any other fly reel with this feature and has anyone ever used a fly reel other than this brand that has this feature.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Amazing Gloomis Venture 3 Fly Reel???

I used to own that reel and had no idea it even had that feature. When I see it in pictures of mine from when I had it, I sure do miss it. Most beautiful reel I have seen for $100.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice
Default Re: The Amazing Gloomis Venture 3 Fly Reel???

I have a venture 3 and like that feature a well. Although, in the end, I think relief fast with the knob is just as fast as spinning the face, considering you have to take little pauses to re-spin it.