The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Drag on a fly reel

They had line out of the reel, fish in fast water and just held the line tightly till it broke the fish off. It was the silliest thing I have seen in a while.If they had just given the fish line.

Dan it sounds as if these folks lacked line time, there lack of being able to control a catch with line, rod and personal control to work a catch. Is a drag important it's up to you, I think they give us more confidence, I've plenty of reels with them and with out, I don't think I need to stop a truck while casting for a 16" fish but do think I need to with a 40" stripper.

Rick
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
They had line out of the reel, fish in fast water and just held the line tightly till it broke the fish off. It was the silliest thing I have seen in a while.If they had just given the fish line.

Dan it sounds as if these folks lacked line time, there lack of being able to control a catch with line, rod and personal control to work a catch. Is a drag important it's up to you, I think they give us more confidence, I've plenty of reels with them and with out, I don't think I need to stop a truck while casting for a 16" fish but do think I need to with a 40" stripper.

Rick
In the video I watched they as I said had line out of the reel and they did not feed them a single inch of it. They monkey armed the fish till it busted off which took all of 3 seconds to do. They never gave a fish the chance to get it on the drag. I also said "Busting a fish off is 100% operator error. All they needed to do was let the fish have some line so they didn't snap the dang line. It was the silliest thing I have seen in a while.

If you could just clamp the snot out of the line and never bust a fish off, there never would have been a need to invent the drag. Again, You can't just clamp the line down on a big fish in fast water AND NOT BUST THEM OFF.

Let me ask you this, how long does it take you to decide you had better give a fish some line before it snaps you off? Make that two. Do you get busted off a lot?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsheet View Post
OK, I am totally new to fly fishing so please forgive this question. I'm a bit confused about how drag works on a fly reel. I know from my spinning reels and baitcasters how it works as the reel will release line even when reeling in depending on how the drag is set. I'm not seeing this with a fly reel though. If you are reeling it in, no matter how the drag is set it will not release line. The only way that I can see the drag working is if you are simply not holding the crank (handle?). The crank and reel are locked in at 1:1 so no matter what that stays the same.

It's almost like my old Ambassadeur 5000C, if you want to give the fish some line you simply crank in reverse. Am I missing something regarding drag on a fly reel?
First of all....your old Ambassador 5000C does have a drag on it. From the description you give, the drag is on maximum and the fish cannot pull out line. Normally, this reel will allow line to come off the spool without the handles turning.

I have never come across any fly reel that let out line without the handles turning but I bet that there are some somewhere that will do that. My Okuma reels and my Fenwick Nighthawk have good drags yet the handles turn when line comes of the spool.

I never rely on simply letting the fly line slip through my hands when fighting a fish. Yes, I will do this but I quickly reel in the slack fly line so that I can either palm the spool on my fly reel or simply let the drag on the fly reel do it's job. Since I like to palm the fly line spool, my drag is set a bit lighter. When palming the reel, you can use your palm or fingers or the tip of a finger.

Cheaper fly reels do not have very good drags. Some are just a device that makes the spring on the pawl a bit tighter so that the reel does not overrun when a fish quickly takes line off the spool. If you could really tighten the drag on some of those cheap fly reels, they would quickly overheat and melt or seize up.

When fishing for panfish (brook trout, bluegill, perch, bass etc) a drag is not really necessary. These fish are usually small and don't make long runs. However, if you ever want to go fishing for salmon, musky, pike, bonefish etc., etc., you will most definitely need a fly reel with a good drag and the fly reel must be quite strong. A fly reel with these qualities does cost more.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:40 PM

spinsheet is on a distinguished road

I can assure you that my 5000C has no drag. It's basically a free spinning reel, you can spin it forward or backward and that's the only way to allow line off the reel, with the exception of actually releasing the bail. My 5000 (D I believe) did have an adjustable drag but the 5000C did not.

I'm going to hold off on trying to figure out any more regarding this till I actually hook a fish on the thing. Might help for me to have some context
Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

If your 5000C has no drag it's because you bought it second hand and a previous owner did bad things to it. Here is a photo of a 5000C and you can clearly see the star drag adjustment.
Click the image to open in full size.

I think you may be trying to overthink the drag thing here. This is all pretty simple. Hook the line to a door knob and try it. In the don't bust your line on a door knob scenario you won't leave a fly in a fish. All the information you need is in my previous post in a pretty clear (or at least I thought it was) manner. Go back and reread them. hook the line to a door knob and walk backwards. You will understand it perfectly in about 3 seconds.

Here's a newer version of the 5000C, still has a drag.

Last edited by Guest1; 03-26-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabluz View Post
I have never come across any fly reel that let out line without the handles turning but I bet that there are some somewhere that will do that.
I have several anti-reverse fly reels.

The Fenwick World Class Reels are anti-reverse. I had the World Class 6 and 8, and still have the 6. I also have several Seamaster Mark III Dual Mode reels that are direct drive anti-reverse fly reels.

The reason for these reels is that you can literally have your fingers broken if you get them in the way of a spinning handle when fighting a Tarpon or Tuna. I know of a surgeon that did break his fingers while salt water fly fishing.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Banned

his is my PENN 4GAR. AR as in anti-reverse. The handle does not turn backwards on this when the line goes out.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I seem to remember that Garcia did market a 5000 with no drag. They had several different models including a wide spool, a narrow spool. They also produced a small diameter model called a 2500. I bought one from BPS for about $24 on clearance. I haven't used it for years but I much prefered it to the 5000 series and wished I bought several at the time.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

More reference material:

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

dabluz, There are many fly reels that have drags similar to those found in other reels, I posted a vintage reel of this design a few days ago.

Reel Love; the Fly Reel Picture Thread

Also Abu certainly produced direct drive bait-casters. I'm not familiar with spinsheets reel, but will acknowledge that direct-drive Abu's were produced.

Abu Garcia - * * *Wayne's Reel Collectibles

Spinsheet, after I first became interested in traditional fly reels, I ended up also fishing some of my grandfathers direct drive baitcasters, and found they can also be a blast to fish! Then one day out of impulse I picked up a used direct drive spinning reel from japan (was actually searching for one, but a deal came along that I couldn't pass), "A Shimano BBX". I have not fished it yet, but I bet it will also be fun.

Hope you enjoy your direct drive reel, I'f I was you I'd certainly fish it! Its my limited understanding the "D" stands for direct drive, If you acquired them from the same source it might be possible someone played, as many Abu's are like lego's. Many of the same parts have a fair chance to fit. I've even found interchangeable parts in later daiwa / abu's....

Last edited by charged; 03-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.