The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Set me straight (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/314642-set-me-straight.html)

brucerducer 03-25-2013 03:31 AM

Set me straight

Can someone refer me to a good source that explains the different ways of fishing patterns, as in:

Drift.....as a nymph....as a streamer.... etc.

I know just about enough to get skunked I think, so if you can help, I would appreciate an explanation of the fine points.

sandfly 03-25-2013 05:20 AM

Re: Set me straight

I think it best if you can get out with someone who could show you this.

nick k 03-25-2013 07:01 AM

I always go to Youtube first. It can't give you everything, but videos are always more helpful than text for me.

Flyfisher for men 03-25-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick k (Post 540481)
I always go to Youtube first. It can't give you everything, but videos are always more helpful than text for me.

x2. Youtube is great.

There are a lot of articles on this online that are worth looking into.

A few basics:

First thing to learn is what drag is. I won't try to explain because there are better sources of info than me. Learn how to "mend" a line. That's how you fix it. I will say this, if you cast a fly across a stream and let it drift, your line will belly out in the current and drag the fly across/through the water. This looks unnatural as most things are drifting unimpeded and this also makes the fly put a little disturbance in the water as it cuts across current. Fish can detect this and it looks unnatural.

The cure is learning to "mend" the line. Mending is an essential skill in flyfishing. Essentially you are repositioning the line upstream so it doesn't belly out during the drift. I find myself doing this: cast out and then give the line a little flip to get the slack positioned upstream of the fly. I repeat it a few times in the drift since the line inevitably catches up. If you are seeing a big belly or arc in your line, you've probably got drag. You want your line to look zig-zagged as it drifts so the fly is going downstream naturally.

Fly
/
\
\ current---------------->>>>>
/
\
/
You

What will happen is that the current pulling on your fly line will take it downstream faster the than the fly. A big D-shaped, arcing belly will form in the line. (I tried to draw but it didn't work). Don't let that belly form! Get that upstream. If you are not fishing with an indicator, let the fly swing down below you and let it hang there for a bit. It looks like some critter suspended or rising in the water column and that often gets a fish to hit (normally a hard one).

here's an article from a board sponsor: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001&langId=-1

Rip Tide 03-25-2013 08:13 AM

Knowing how and when to mend is fundamental to all fly presentation techniques that use a floating line.
It's as important as being able to cast.
A Mending Primer | MidCurrent
Ken Abrames' Stripermoon
8 Common Fly Line Mending Mistakes

1move 03-25-2013 09:58 AM

Go here for a wealth of information!

How To Fly Fish For Trout: Nymph Fishing Video Lessons - Orvis

And also more lessons here

Fly Fishing Video Lessons | How To Fly Fish Video Instructions - Orvis

silver creek 03-25-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucerducer (Post 540440)
Can someone refer me to a good source that explains the different ways of fishing patterns, as in:

About 20 years ago I was asked to write the first FAQ on fly fishing for Flyfish@. If you Google "nymphing" or "dry fly fishing," my FAQ still comes upon the first page of the search.

I still think they relevant for the newbie. Feel free to print off a copy.

Dry Fly Fishing

Nymphing

Henry's faqs menu

brucerducer 03-26-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1move (Post 540533)

Thanks 1move. That ought to just about do it.

stenacron 03-26-2013 05:52 AM

Fly Fishing for Trout in Streams

Excellent guide that covers all of the basic fishing techniques complete with step-by-step pictures, fly types, rigging, etc.

kylebass91 03-26-2013 08:01 AM

There are plenty of people on here with VASTLY more knowledge than myself, but to simplify things.

Nymphs- For the most part (for me) it is a dead drift in faster water. I use an indicator most of the time but if I'm fishing shallower water (less than 3 ft) I will go with a hopper dropper setup

Streamers- Again for the most part- I fish them almost like I'm fishing convential for bass, 45 degree casts upstream and depending how slow or fast the fish tell me i strip it back. and yes this is for trout

All the way from Afghanistan
-Kyle "PWNY" Stinnett