The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 04:31 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Set me straight

Can someone refer me to a good source that explains the different ways of fishing patterns, as in:

Drift.....as a nymph....as a streamer.... etc.

I know just about enough to get skunked I think, so if you can help, I would appreciate an explanation of the fine points.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Set me straight

I think it best if you can get out with someone who could show you this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 03-25-2013, 08:01 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I always go to Youtube first. It can't give you everything, but videos are always more helpful than text for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
I always go to Youtube first. It can't give you everything, but videos are always more helpful than text for me.
x2. Youtube is great.

There are a lot of articles on this online that are worth looking into.

A few basics:

First thing to learn is what drag is. I won't try to explain because there are better sources of info than me. Learn how to "mend" a line. That's how you fix it. I will say this, if you cast a fly across a stream and let it drift, your line will belly out in the current and drag the fly across/through the water. This looks unnatural as most things are drifting unimpeded and this also makes the fly put a little disturbance in the water as it cuts across current. Fish can detect this and it looks unnatural.

The cure is learning to "mend" the line. Mending is an essential skill in flyfishing. Essentially you are repositioning the line upstream so it doesn't belly out during the drift. I find myself doing this: cast out and then give the line a little flip to get the slack positioned upstream of the fly. I repeat it a few times in the drift since the line inevitably catches up. If you are seeing a big belly or arc in your line, you've probably got drag. You want your line to look zig-zagged as it drifts so the fly is going downstream naturally.

Fly
/
\
\ current---------------->>>>>
/
\
/
You

What will happen is that the current pulling on your fly line will take it downstream faster the than the fly. A big D-shaped, arcing belly will form in the line. (I tried to draw but it didn't work). Don't let that belly form! Get that upstream. If you are not fishing with an indicator, let the fly swing down below you and let it hang there for a bit. It looks like some critter suspended or rising in the water column and that often gets a fish to hit (normally a hard one).

here's an article from a board sponsor: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001&langId=-1
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing how and when to mend is fundamental to all fly presentation techniques that use a floating line.
It's as important as being able to cast.
A Mending Primer | MidCurrent
Ken Abrames' Stripermoon
8 Common Fly Line Mending Mistakes
Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

Go here for a wealth of information!

How To Fly Fish For Trout: Nymph Fishing Video Lessons - Orvis

And also more lessons here

Fly Fishing Video Lessons | How To Fly Fish Video Instructions - Orvis
Old 03-25-2013, 01:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
Can someone refer me to a good source that explains the different ways of fishing patterns, as in:
About 20 years ago I was asked to write the first FAQ on fly fishing for Flyfish@. If you Google "nymphing" or "dry fly fishing," my FAQ still comes upon the first page of the search.

I still think they relevant for the newbie. Feel free to print off a copy.

Dry Fly Fishing

Nymphing

Henry's faqs menu
brucerducer likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post

Thanks 1move. That ought to just about do it.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Fly Fishing for Trout in Streams

Excellent guide that covers all of the basic fishing techniques complete with step-by-step pictures, fly types, rigging, etc.

Fly Fishing for Trout in Streams: A How-To Guide (The Freshwater Angler): Editors of Creative Publishing: 9780865730731: Amazon.com: Books Fly Fishing for Trout in Streams: A How-To Guide (The Freshwater Angler): Editors of Creative Publishing: 9780865730731: Amazon.com: Books

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

There are plenty of people on here with VASTLY more knowledge than myself, but to simplify things.

Nymphs- For the most part (for me) it is a dead drift in faster water. I use an indicator most of the time but if I'm fishing shallower water (less than 3 ft) I will go with a hopper dropper setup

Streamers- Again for the most part- I fish them almost like I'm fishing convential for bass, 45 degree casts upstream and depending how slow or fast the fish tell me i strip it back. and yes this is for trout

All the way from Afghanistan
-Kyle "PWNY" Stinnett