The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: New here... Need some help!

Don't go over the top with your first (or second) fly rod. There are a lot of other expenses involved with getting started: waders, boots, line leaders et al ad nausium.

There are a lot of decent to good quality rods out there of under $200. A good line, excellent form and a decent rod will catch you more fish than a million dollar rod the wrong line and casting "S"'s.

Try to find someone locally, even hit up a local guide service. Most people are willing the share what they know for the most part, sans a few secrets they take to the grave.

Learn to tie you own leaders. It's not hard, and the practice with blood knots will come in handy. Just learning you will go through leaders almost as fast as you loose flies. A $60 Maxima leader kit is good for a whole lot of leaders and suddenly becomes very inexpensive when you start adding up all those $4-$6
you end up picking up a little too regularly.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:21 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I think leaders aren't as important for some species as others. If you are going for reds and bass mostly, a simple untapered piece of mono will do. For bass, I use 20lb mono for leader and 12lb for tippet. No need to deal with furled, tapered, or complex leaders. If you are going for trout a lot, then leaders become more important. I would stay away from concentrating on leaders to much until you know what difference they really make.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:33 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Blake those are some gorgeous largemouths! Welcome to the addiction. Since you like fishing Redfish as well as big Bass consider getting a 9wt as an all around rod. TFO BVK is an ideal rod for both species and a pleasure to fish with. If you add a Cabelas RLS reel and an SA line you can have a good rig in the $300 range. I love to see young guys getting into fly fishing so o wish you the best. I just returned from a trip with my son and we used our 9wts for Redfish and small Tarpon in the salt and Largemouths and Peacock Bass in the canals and they worked great! Keep us posted on your progress.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-30-2013, 02:36 PM

bpeterson will become famous soon enough
Default New here... Need some help!

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm looking at the Alpha III and the XA 8wt rod. Looking at fly lines now. Any thing I should know before purchasing backing? Are there any I should look for?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:30 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I think Albright should be included in the discussion. I would never buy their gear at regular price but during their 80% off sales, they are a real value.

:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I think Albright should be included in the discussion. I would never buy their gear at regular price but during their 80% off sales, they are a real value.

:: Albright Fly Fish | Fly Rods | Fly Reels | Spin and Casting Rods | Reels | Rods
Is there a reason they are so cheap?

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

And does anyone have some info on Albright rods?
I really like the looks of them and there website makes them out to be great... But I can't seem to find much info on them.
I took a look at their Facebook page and it seems like they are 80% off every other month. Are these marked up extremely and discounted to what they should be?
If these really are how they are made up to be I'll be getting one, I've just never seen a company offer 80% off their products so often which kind of concerns me
Old 03-31-2013, 10:05 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

Those are some heavy reels. It says the 3/4 weighs 6.2oz. Most 3/4s I've seen are less than 5.0.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I have recently been able to cast my Albright GPX 7/8 9'6" rod... I was not going into this situation with high hopes... I had been regretting the decision to buy it ever since I had gotten it... For numerous reasons... In the end though... I am not displeased with this rod... would I pay their "msrp"?... NEVER... Their sale price is about where their quality lies(is as good if not better than other rods in the sub $100 range)... The rod did not feel overly heavy when matched with an Okuma Integrity 7/8 and the Rio Mainstream 24' 300gr Sink Tip cast very well on this rod... I also felt a 9'6" rod would feel a lot longer and I barely noticed the difference
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 PM

I ended up purchasing an Allen Alpha III and an Allen 8wt XA rod last night. I did some research on the Albright rods and didn't really like much if what I read. While they might be good rods for the sale price, I don't like how they are trying to fool people with their crazy "msrp's"
wannafish likes this.