The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM

codypom is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guide job

While I have never been a guide, I have a very successful business teaching private guitar lessons. It took about a year to get the number of clients I wanted. I have to say that word of mouth has been my biggest asset in terms of recruitment. Get the word out there as much as you can. Use the internet: get a web page, use social media.

Also, scope out what other independent guides are doing to promote themselves and what they offer in terms of services and prices. If you do pay to advertise, make sure your $ will target the exact audience you want. Don't forget to make connections with other guides. Maybe there is someone in your area that is too busy, if you have a good relationship then they might send you some of the clients they don't have time for.

Create your own success and let your potential customers know about it. Get a few clients, give them a great trip and have them give you testimonials. Use those testimonials to help you get more clients. Best of luck to you!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:25 PM

lostinmt is on a distinguished road

Becoming an Independent in Montana takes a truck and boat, client rods and reels along with a stack of flies and knowing the water.

I would suggest looking for a lodge or guest ranch type job to get started. Then move on from there. They have the equipment, and will help you get some days under your belt. Stash your tips and then buy a boat when you can. It takes a bit to get set up, but once you do its fun for awhile.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

If you have all of your own gear it just makes sense to go out on your own. The hardest part is picking up clients, but with some leg work, and a humble attitude, its amazing how people will share. Hit up some shops, call some guides and ask to take their overflow (giving them a finders fee of course) Just My 2 Cents...Nate Bailey