The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM

desertfly83 is on a distinguished road
Default Guide job

Looking for a first year guide job I'm atteneding the sweet water guide school at the beginning of July but in the mean time I'd like to find a job that I can start right after school I have a résumé ready to go any help or ideas on this would be great
Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guide job

I'm going to quote myself from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I never worked as a guide, but I worked in the fly fishing industry for six years.

There are two types of guides. One is an independent operator. The other works for a licensed outfitter. The independent operator has a business license, insurance bond, and guiding license. He is responsible for all of his overhead. The employee type is hired by a licensed outfitter. The outfitter takes care of the business overhead. In some states, the employee type guide will have to obtain a special guiding license to work for outfitters.

The shop that I worked at was not an outfitter. It contracted licensed guides.

One thing that I learned from the independent guides is that they have to know how to run their own businesses. You don't necessarily need a degree, but a few basic business classes under your belt will help. I have seen a few guides fail because of poor basic business practices like record keeping.

There are guide schools available. I have had mixed reviews on them.

Here's a reality check. Don't plan on getting rich in the industry. Guiding is more of a labor of love. Most successful guides who I know work part time in the industry and have full time paying jobs.

Dennis
The decision that you need to make is whether you want to be an employee or an independent contractor.

Any other advice? Contact all the fly fishing shops and outfitters in the region.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM

Is it to late in the season to find work?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to start guiding now as an independent operator, you can get your licenses and insurance bond anytime.

If you want to start working for an outfitter in July, you may want to start networking now.

Dennis
Old 03-26-2013, 01:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

You might check which state(s) you're interested in too.. see what it takes to get a guide license if that state requires one
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
You might check which state(s) you're interested in too.. see what it takes to get a guide license if that state requires one
Good advice. Different states have different requirements. State wildlife department websites are good sources.

Dennis
Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM

Thanks guys @ Dave I'd like to go to Montana I've got résumé's sent out I'm just Waiting to get a response
Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Desert,

I work for a fly fishing company here in Colorado. Were always looking for a new guide to put onto the roster. PM me if you would like more information!

Dallas
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfly83 View Post
Thanks guys @ Dave I'd like to go to Montana I've got résumé's sent out I'm just Waiting to get a response
FWP has more...

This could get you started..

Fishing Outfitters Association of Montana contact page
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Great read Dave, back there again in a moment. Always something new to learn.

Fred