The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

High stick nymphing is pretty simple once you get a good handle on the line control. Only your leader is in the water and that's all you need to watch.
High-Stick Nymphing
Straight up-stream nymphing without an indicator is a different story.
It's all about experience. You have to do it alot to really get the hang of it.
You'll know when you got it though, it's an accomplishment you won't forget.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 AM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Nymph fishing without indicators

I use a indicator when fishing my streams but most of them are pretty fast moving water and Ill bet Indicator vs non Indicator the indicator will catch more fish every time. Even when fishing slow water if u don't have a indicator just watch your line. Feeling a trout take a nymph is useless and you will miss most fish. I hardly ever feel a hit when nymph fishing.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I too believe there are times when an indicator is necessary, though whenever I can, I don't use one.
Randy
itchmesir likes this.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Fishing a small creek on a sunny day, I often wonder how many fish I'm spooking with my indicator. Additionally, you're fishing a fixed depth when you tie on an indicator. I'm going to make a point to fish less indicators this year. However, in the summer I'm all about hopper dropper rigs. I hardly throw anything else from June-August.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Not trying to start an argument, and it's not my job to judge another angler's program, but.....

A worm will catch lots more trout than a fly. Dipping your flies in sardine juice will catch lots more trout....etc. When I'm fishing, I try to cast to rising fish of any sort, or fish a spot that just looks fishy. Hooking a fish in either of these two situations is the sport for me. It's not a numbers game in any way, shape, or form. I know a fly fisherman who fishes for bluegills, and keeps an exact count. Nice guy, and a very good tyer, but I've never understood that. In any case, if you feel like you're not catching enough fish and a bobber would help, go for it. There are other things you can do as well, however. I've found that using a gold bead on a nymph causes fish of all sorts to strike hard enough that detection is quite easy. The gold bead might be tacky to some, but at least it's hidden underwater. You can often see a fish take a nymph, and clear water with polarized lenses helps a lot. Rip is 100% correct about getting used to nymphing, and many anglers have written about art of detecting a strike (usually as a result of frustration). Does the solution lie in better line control and practice at the "art", or using a bobber? One of the best things you can do is find a spot on a stream that holds a bunch of bluegill, and drift a nymph past them. Even these fish are capable of a subtle strike, and you can build confidence by catching them without a bobber.

Nymphing is something that I've only done regularly in the past 6-7 years. I think it was when I began setting the hook at the slightest hint of a strike, that I became confident enough to use nymphs often, and leave the bobbers on the store shelf. Setting a hook when nothing is there is fine. There's no limit to the number of hook sets, and trusting your instincts will go a long way.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM

double dry is on a distinguished road

I'm convinced that nymphing under an indicator (bobber) is very effective and enjoyable when done correctly. That said, Eric Stroup has a book out describing nymphing w/o indicators.
Kerry Pitt and mrfzx like this.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

ive read that book and its intresting. he relies more on a good drift than pattern tippet size etc. he also recommends tying your own leaders and using a section of flourescent yellow stren about mid way so you can see it . very intresting idea i thought.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I started nymphing when there were no such things as indicators and learned from the guy who worked with Chuck Fothergill, the angler who developed "high stick" nymphing, on the Roaring Fork River in CO...

...then, I got old

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
ive read that book and its intresting. he relies more on a good drift than pattern tippet size etc. he also recommends tying your own leaders and using a section of flourescent yellow stren about mid way so you can see it . very intresting idea i thought.
I've spoken with Eric on a couple of occasions, and that's just one more reason why he's a fan of knotted leaders. 3M used to offer a small diameter tubing that you could run up your leader, and that served as an indicator of sorts. The last I heard, they stopped making them.

As far as bobbers spooking fish.... I've used hopper/dropper rigs, and spooked fish. Taking out one or the other usually solves that problem. Depends on the fish, and how shy they are at the moment though.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I never use indicators...for several reasons...first I mainly fish on sight,then I can't stand casting with and indicator.If you practise a lot you will see the fish taking your nymph or at least a flash or a "weird" behaviour of your leader,sometimes a "knock" in your rod tip.Anyway I think the best way to help you is to have a fluo section(3rd or 4th one) on your knotted leader as dpreller saidnot easy for me to explain...would be easier if you were on the water with me
mcnerney likes this.