The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
I started nymphing when there were no such things as indicators and learned from the guy who worked with Chuck Fothergill, the angler who developed "high stick" nymphing, on the Roaring Fork River in CO...

...then, I got old

PT/TB
Same here PT. In getting old, my eyes have gone and a strike indicator is a great solution. I was straight-lining before most on here even knew what a fly rod was ...

Kelly
planettrout likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibuwulf View Post
I can certainly appreciate the purist's point of view in nymphing, but isn't using using your fly line, coiled leader, colored leader, knots on the leader, hopper droppers, any dry fly, or any point of reference indicating a take basically the same as using an indicator?

Any fly fisherman is a great and poetic fisherman in my book
Well........... yes but then there is also a great difference between archery hunting with an old Bear Recurved bow or a hand made Long Bow or shooting short missles with a Crossbow. The dogma would expose itself when the crossbow hunter told the re-curve or long bow men he was an archer...........

FrankB2, mrfzx and noreaster like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I'm really starting to hate indicators more and more and therefor use them less and less... Though even in Dynamic Nymphing he says that there is a time and place for indicators... So don't just throw them away and never use them again...

Personally I use a Wonderfurl Nymphing leader... it's a 7 1/2' furled leader with 3' of brightly colored butt so that i can see my leader in the water... My Ultimate Trout line is grey so seeing the tip of my line moving from 20'-30' away is pretty much impossible... these leaders are amazing and can see my leader whether it's on the surface or a couple feet under the water... depending on clarity...

Also keeping a tight line will allow you to "feel" the fish take a fly a lot easier... but this is not always a good technique as you're more often moving your fly slightly faster than the current to keep your line tight... which kinda eliminates a natural drift... which can turn some fish off... but i still land plenty with this technique... so I'm not complaining
Hardyreels, FrankB2 and noreaster like this.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

i just checked cabelas and they still make gold stren.i think im gonna get some in 8lb along with a couple spools of maxima and tie some of my own leaders like eric suggestes in hid book.
FrankB2 and noreaster like this.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I think I might find out the answer for you this weekend. I'm heading to a mecca of 'bobber' flyfishing this weekend with the intent of trying to fish it without using a bobber. The place is Lee's Ferry, and the rig is similar to the 'provo bounce' rig mentioned earlier. The main reason I'm making this attempt is twofold. One, casting this rig is . . . an abomination against the aesthetics of the sport. I mean, it's ugly, what with bobber, lead shot and a pair of flies all cartwheeling through the air, with every fisherman ducking in rhythm as his own bola imitation slings over his head. And the whole rig won't fly much further than 30 feet before splashing down like an Apollo re-entry vehicle.

Two, I'm not a patient man. I don't fish to watch bobbers float by over and over and over.

So, after having recently read a book about old school nymph fishing, I've decided to give it a shot. Now, I don't expect to catch a lot of fish, certainly not as many as my bobber-expert friends, but I do plan to learn how to focus/unfocus my mind, and see through the water better. And maybe think more like a fish.

I'll tell ya how it works out next week.

Peace.
Hardyreels, FrankB2 and stenacron like this.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I've been trying the Amnesia flouro butt material instead of indicators. The problem is that most of the time I can't see the Amnesia.

Randy
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You can color you leader with makers too.
I often coat my leader knots with florescent fabric paint but it's not easy to see and rarely makes a difference.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I've been trying the Amnesia flouro butt material instead of indicators. The problem is that most of the time I can't see the Amnesia.

Randy
I try to use amnesia, but I keep forgetting

Actually I had amnesia when I started reading all this, or I would have not wasted my time. Best bet would be to combine this with the Tenkara thread so we can all demonstrate how narrow minded we all are without taking up the time to read both.
stenacron likes this.

Last edited by mikel; 03-30-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 PM

mibuwulf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Well........... yes but then there is also a great difference between archery hunting with an old Bear Recurved bow or a hand made Long Bow or shooting short missles with a Crossbow. The dogma would expose itself when the crossbow hunter told the re-curve or long bow men he was an archer...........

I can't quite agree with you there. If we put that in fishing terms, that would be a spin caster calling oneself a fly fisherman. The mechanics of the sport are completely different.

I tried to come up with an analogy to fit your point of view, but I could not.

I see indicators as an advancement in the sport as any sport can and will do. Is it no longer fly fishing since we now use realistic flies that contain plastic molded pieces as well, since they are not materials traditionally used in fly tying?

Fishing industry is vast and huge. I say use them to your advantage and see if it works for you or doesn't. All I know is I got to be on the water today and had tremendous success with the wild brookies.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor16 View Post
Any tips? I've never enjoyed the idea of adding a "bobber" so I'm open to any and all suggestions...
As usual we are losing the scope of the original post and the question ask. The thread originator ask for alternative techniques to the use of floats, thingamabobs, indicators, yarn and etc. for fishing with nymphs.

Somehow every time the topic is broached here the battle lines are drawn and those who chose to use indicators sometimes become defensive of the practice.

If we were to go back to read the first post here Taylor ask for tips on traditional nymph techniques. How we strayed away from that to see folks explaining the virtues of using sight indicators I don't know.

I regret making a second post in which I anologized archery and perhaps it was not revelant to the thread and I apologize for that.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;