The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 07:26 PM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Nymph fishing without indicators

Any tips? I've never enjoyed the idea of adding a "bobber" so I'm open to any and all suggestions...
imxer and stenacron like this.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Nymph fishing without indicators

I use these, I know you said indicators but you get down to bobbers in your post so not sure if you have tried them.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

How about using a bright colored section of leader material ?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Nymph fishing without indicators

I'm more interested in technique versus alternatives to "bobbers" or strike indicators or yarn, etc...
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You should consider purchasing this book. There is a plethora of different techniques in there.

Amazon.com: Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World eBook: George Daniel: Books Amazon.com: Dynamic Nymphing: Tactics, Techniques, and Flies from Around the World eBook: George Daniel: Books
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor16 View Post

Any tips? I've never enjoyed the idea of adding a "bobber" so I'm open to any and all suggestions...
Force yourself to do it. Leave the strike indicators home, fish weighted nymphs casting upstream on a short line, lift the leader off the water as it drifts towards you... watch the water droplets trickle down the leader... if the line stops/twitches/or you just "get a feeling", set the hook!

You'll develop a sense for the take and you will catch more and bigger fish, even from pressured waters fishing behind other anglers.

For me, this works best on small-to-medium sized streams. On large rivers you may still need an indicator... use the smallest one you can as to not upset the drift of the nymph. And it doesn't always have to float, as long as you can see it.

Tight lines!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM

dabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura aboutdabluz has a spectacular aura about

I've never used indicators. I've even never thought of using indicators when nymph fishing. Almost all of my fishing is in calm water and the strike is easy to detect. When fishing with sinking line, I just point the rod towards the point of entry of the line into the water. Not directly but almost because the take is always quite hard and fast. The fish hooks himself.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Same never used a bobber before. Mainly cause I am lazy and dont want to put one on. My leader from Joni though has a brighter color on it which helps so I can see it.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:44 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I use a dry-dropper rig. I have had too many strikes on indicators. If I am "dapping" the nymph in small streams, I just watch the leader, while keeping the fly line out of the water.

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I only used indicators during one summer, and only because I was curious. They're annoying to me, and I just watch my line/leader for any pauses to indicate a strike. Some strikes on a nymph are quite vicious, so no bobbers are needed there. Others can be much more subtle, but I still catch fish without looking tacky. Streams are easier than lake IMO, as there's no current to drift a line there. You should still be able to see the take by watching the line, or work your nymph for better coverage and strike detection.