The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree30Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fly rod orgin

I've seen recommendations for Flying Pigs Fly Rods on here; however, I've e-mailed them a couple of times asking what country their rods are made in. They have never responded to me. I don't even want to consider some made in China rod that is rebranded here with a name. Does anyone positively know where they are made?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly rod orgin

I just found out the blank is made in China, but it's not a rebranded rod. It was designed (the blank) by a member here on the forum. I believe they build the rods here. They are pretty busy so I would give them a few days to get back to you.

By the way, these are not just some run of the mill rod. This was designed to be a performance rod, and it is. I took the Liqued series 8 wt today and practiced casting and even with a wind could toss a MED clear off the reel. It's a 105' line. I have not cast a lot this winter and I am sucking sooooo.....

One more thing, the way things are going you are going to have to get used to getting your stuff made overseas because nobody, and I do mean nobody, will be able to compete and do it from here. So the company itself is here, it employs people here, it costs less than half of what a Sage does, I like it twice as much as any Sage I ever cast, it looks better, and leaves you money for more toys.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I appreciate people wanting to buy US made products, but it seems that some people on this forum go a little overboard. To be honest, it can even seem unjustly prejudice at times. Many Asian products are as good a quality or better than ours. Not everything is made in a sweatshop.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

China shops selling China designed goods is one thing...but American companies having their product built there,,with QC over the product..has changed things. The companies felt they could do business there and keep the quality control up...so I really don't feel bad about buying a Chinese rod or Korean rod............IF,,,,the rod has the quality.

And to be honest,,Americans do not have that 'make it as best as we can',,,I've had just as many problems,,sometimes more-so,,with good ol' USA made goods.

What if EVER rod we wanted cost 800 or so as just the base price ? Half the people that fly fish,,,,,,,couldn't get into it.

It's not a perfect world,,,,and it's a changed world. Just be judicious about your purchases and you will be fine.

I'm strongly considering a Fly Pig 8wt myself. Good reputations,,,I'll personally take Dan's word and judgement and believe that,,,as he's the one that has first hand knowledge of Fly Pig rods and knows his stuff...as a real user of this stuff and not just an equipment collector.
But I shall have to save some mo' milk money. Just bought an overly expensive 'American' rod.

Michael
Guest1 and woodrivertroutbum like this.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

To me it is not about quality (good quality overseas alot of places) its about AMERICAN PRIDE
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I bet you don't go to convenience stores and only purchase products that were made in the US. If your basis for product purchases is American Pride, what distinguishes the rod from the "Made in China" children's toy you buy for a niece that you don't bother to country check?

Call it American Pride, but I think we all know it is very often more than that.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
To me it is not about quality (good quality overseas alot of places) its about AMERICAN PRIDE
So you don't purchase anything unless it was made in the US?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by r reese View Post
Its funny so many folks talk about nuthin' but American Pride.
So I guess all the American businesses who have kept their businesses a float and feed their families through smart business sense by out sourcing some production are all anti-American? Where was the American pride to keep manufacturing at home in the first place. The market is merciless and money seems to talk.
It was American pride that kept so many business owners from paying other Americans top manufacturing wages.

True it would be nice to have the latest and greatest from one of the USA companies, but I've swallowed my pride long ago and realized I can get the job done on my modest budget.
wt bash likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 AM
incoming2oclock

I'm certainly not going to tell anyone where they should or should not buy an item but, I can tell you that, as a rod builder, that blanks made in China have issues with consistency. Are there some decent rods out there for a good price that are made in China?...........probably/yeah. At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with someone who aspires to buy American made products, even if it's just American made fly rods, cars or whatever..........no one does it better than us! Fly fishing is one of our passions, the best blanks/rods in the world are made by Americans - small scale and large scale. If some people want to match their passion with American pride then that's awesome. If someone wants to buy off-shore product, then I don't think it's biggie. To a large extent, our politicians and an increasingly lazy and entitled workforce (generally speaking) have pushed manufacturing to other countries and that is unfortunate in many ways! Here's a thought........every time that I built a blank I really thought of it as a blank that I was building for myself. If it wasn't great then it was pulled from production. I'm not sure if a person in China, whose passion is fly fishing like mine, would do the same thing?
Meatco1, jaybo41 and rockriver like this.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
True it would be nice to have the latest and greatest from one of the USA companies, but I've swallowed my pride long ago and realized I can get the job done on my modest budget.
Aye, that's where all of us are on this sinking ship. We no longer have a domestic economy.

What we used to be able to pay for a Fenwick or a Leonard, now goes to a Chinese rod, and the rest goes to our share of 50 million food stamp recipients, castles for banksters, politicians, and wars.

But it won't last much longer.

A domestic economy cannot exist without a percentage of producing-consurmers making widgets, both edible and inedible. The higher that percentage, the stronger the economy.
Guest1 likes this.