The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 AM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Plans for 2013?

I'm sitting here, supposed to be working, thinking about my 2013 season.

Right now the only thing I have planned is competing in the NC kayak fishing club's monthly competitions, this will be taking me to new water throughout NC, seeing as how I'm from VA, this will be very interesting for me.

So what do you guys have planned?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Plans for 2013?

My plan for 2013 is to fish as much this spring. My wife is pregnant with our first child and she is due the end of May. So I am trying to get as much fishing in before that.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I'm about to kick off the spring Striper run in about 30min, so thats a start. I'll probably get 3 days a week on the water from today until the end of May(work permitting) chasing the line sides from the Delta up the valley rivers. Other than the spring and fall Striper runs all I have on the books is two Baja trips. One for a week with the Fiance with a few days of fishing mixed in with what ever she wants to do. The other is for a week in La Ventana fishing with a group of guys on an all inclusive package put together buy a guide/friend I fish with. I usually don't plan anything for the summer, no need to plan.... I'm on the water alot when it's hot, it's nice to be about a mile from the boat ramp.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Plan is to continue carpin like a fool. Do more trout in the spring creeks and catch a freaking smallie.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM

swhite1989 is on a distinguished road
Default Plans for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Plan is to continue carpin like a fool. Do more trout in the spring creeks and catch a freaking smallie.
I will happily trade you the hundreds of smallies I will catch this year for a couple carp!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:27 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

I'm going on a guided trip in Montana! Can't wait for june!!
yonder likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to sneak in fly fishing whenever possible, will be tough this year. Will take a class on nymphing techniques to keep learning and probably take a guided trip with my dad towards the end of summer. I'm hoping for some fall fishing up in northern wisconsin if we can find time for a family vacation. The smallies are calling up there.
yonder likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to try and get the last of the Fishing Hall of Fame Walleye C&R records. I have 5 left. I think I may need to do it all this Summer and Fall, because I am giving serious consideration to moving. This winter was just to long and to cold.

That and the economy stinking on ice going into it's fifth year and no end in sight, the contrary being far more likely, I need to get out of here before the whole town goes down the tubes. Half of downtown is now empty shops, and half of the rest keep rearranging so they have wider and wider aisles. This isn't the kind of place that can take prolonged lousy economy. We could have taken 1 or 2 without a problem because fishing and drinking are the last things people give up in tough times, and we offer both in abundance. But after this long people are starting to do their fishing and drinking a bit closer to home. So for me, the only thing this place has going for it is that it's got great fishing and it's right on the border. I pay more for stuff over that last one.

One or two more Smallie records would be nice before I bail on this sinking ship. There are actually places with bigger Smallies than here. Just none I can walk to. The Walleye thing is going to be tough to duplicate.

I also want to hit 180' with a spey cast. I think I now have the setup to do it. My 17' 11 wt. Thomas and Thomas. I put a Carron Jetstream long belly line on it with a 95' head. If you get that thing moving with any umph behind it I should think 180' isn't an impossible goal.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Plans for 2013?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowger10 View Post
My plan for 2013 is to fish as much this spring. My wife is pregnant with our first child and she is due the end of May. So I am trying to get as much fishing in before that.
Speaking from experience, your plan is very sound...time out on the water will definitely take a back seat for a couple years.
cowger10 likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

Take over the world, and look good doing it, and do some fishing when I get the time of course.