The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Well....I was kidding in all of my previous posts, at least for the most part. On a serious note, who is the target audience for Tenkara, and how much needs to be discussed? If it's beginners looking to try fly fishing, I think that would be a mistake. Fly fishing involves mechanics that are not present with a Tenkara type rod. It's similar to the image we have of Dame Juliana, but we wouldn't want people to think that Tenkara is fly fishing in the same way that we wouldn't recommend someone start using a scooter in preparation for riding road bikes (bicycles that is). We already do dapping with rods of all lengths, and I tie knotted leaders up to 14 feet. Combined with 6-pc rods, I don't see what Tenkara has to offer that we can't already do. It just seems like something from the past, at least to me. That's not to say you can't have fun with any sort of fishing, but that opens a whole can of worms. Roll casting for distance shoots line through guides, so I don't get that. I could see having a Tenkara topic anywhere on this forum, but can't see elevating it to a status that it might not deserve.

*I hope I haven't offended anyone. Just stating my true feelings about dapping with a telescopic rod.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, I think I posted earlier that dapping uses wind to transport the fly to the fish whereas a tenkara rod is cast. You might not like tenkara or see the point, and that's fine I'm not an evangelist for it, but it's not dapping. If my understanding of dapping is wrong I'm happy to be educated on it, but if I'm right the comparison is flawed.

I think your point that tenkara could be talked about anywhere on the forum (though probably not reels) is a valid one to consider. But there are different rods with different action (not something I understand only having one rod), various line types, as well as different flies. Additionally pictures from fishing trips, etc. I could see them going in one area or throughout the forum. I'm not that invested in having an individual place on the forum, but it would be nice to have tenkara brought up without people who aren't interested in it weighing in with sarcasm. Optimistic I know.

As to what tenkara has to offer that we don't already do, since when does that matter in fly fishing? Many love gear that doesn't justify itself as necessary, I just bought another reel for my 5wt because I like it and it was on sale. I don't get why people buy a lot of the stuff I see posted on here but what do I care? It's their money and their fishing time, let them use it how they want. I'll do the same.

Jackster, whether or not to have sections on this forum that are well covered on other forums, that would be a rough road to start down; rod building, fiberglass and bamboo rods, regional fishing, fly tying, etc etc. This is a general fly fishing forum that covers many specialized areas of fly fishing which have their own forums. I think Frank raises a good question, but the existence of other forums doesn't fit for me given how this one currently operates.
yonder likes this.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post

I can see with the DVD's and Classes why you call it marketing. I see both Tenkara AND Czech Nymphing as two styles that have been around for ever and FINALLY brought to the USA. So I see it more as new knowledge.
I have two friends that fish the USA team. Their instructor was Czech, so they were taught this style of fishing very heavy nymphs. They brought the knowledge back to the US and wanted to share it.
Anyway you color it, it is Fly Fishing and more and more people are sharing this new found style. Nothing wrong with sharing what we find.
This is a very tough pill for me to swallow... so there is a USA Fly-fishing Team... and they had no knowledge of fishing weighted nymphs on a slack leader, until their Czechoslovakian coach showed them? Not exactly conjuring up images of the Dream Team here.

Charles Brooks must be rolling over in his grave.
theboz likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid,fifty years ago, I used a reed ,tied a piece of string and a tippet...bought some realistic black flies called house flies at the tobacconist's and fished...I couldn't cast very far so you had to use crafty tactics to get near fish... it was great funThis is how I started flyfishing....a kind of tankara
So why not a tankara forum here...
Will have to do it again...make a video and post it here
williamhj and yonder like this.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
This is a very tough pill for me to swallow... so there is a USA Fly-fishing Team... and they had no knowledge of fishing weighted nymphs on a slack leader, until their Czechoslovakian coach showed them? Not exactly conjuring up images of the Dream Team here.

Charles Brooks must be rolling over in his grave.
George Daniel... Author of Dynamic Nymphing mentioned that he nor the US team ever used these euro nymphing styles in competitions... Though year after year competitors from Poland, France, Spain, etc... were winning world competitions left and right...

Some of these euro styles are really out of the norm though for the traditional fly angler... using 25' leaders with no fly line off the reel... and casting with the weight of your fly... you'd make a fly purist head spin if you told him about this 20-30 years ago... I'm sure many of them said "that's not fly fishing"

Now it's always possible to know a technique but not know the name or know that it is named... I'm sure plenty of us have read books and gone "oh that's what that's called... I already do that"... There's probably no doubt that some US team members did tight line... but they didn't do it like the euro folks
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
George Daniel... Author of Dynamic Nymphing mentioned that he nor the US team ever used these euro nymphing styles in competitions... Though year after year competitors from Poland, France, Spain, etc... were winning world competitions left and right...

Some of these euro styles are really out of the norm though for the traditional fly angler... using 25' leaders with no fly line off the reel... and casting with the weight of your fly... you'd make a fly purist head spin if you told him about this 20-30 years ago... I'm sure many of them said "that's not fly fishing"

Now it's always possible to know a technique but not know the name or know that it is named... I'm sure plenty of us have read books and gone "oh that's what that's called... I already do that"... There's probably no doubt that some US team members did tight line... but they didn't do it like the euro folks
Ive said this before but I cannot for the life of me understand how we lose at all in these competitions!With so many great fly guys in the U.S. we should be kicking butt!Maybe the team should do some recruiting.
Ill go as far to say there are probably guys on this forum who could do better!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
Ive said this before but I cannot for the life of me understand how we lose at all in these competitions!With so many great fly guys in the U.S. we should be kicking butt!Maybe the team should do some recruiting.
Ill go as far to say there are probably guys on this forum who could do better!
oh there's no denying that... But just like anything else in life... I'm sure getting on the US fly fishing team... you gotta know the right people... not know all the techniques

In all honesty.. I didn't even know there was a Team USA for fly fishing until I read Dynamic Nymphing
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
When I was a kid,fifty years ago, I used a reed ,tied a piece of string and a tippet...bought some realistic black flies called house flies at the tobacconist's and fished...I couldn't cast very far so you had to use crafty tactics to get near fish... it was great funThis is how I started flyfishing....a kind of tankara
So why not a tankara forum here...
Will have to do it again...make a video and post it here
I did the same thing......using flies from my grandfather!!! As far as I am concerned......I was fly fishing then, and I would consider it to be fly fishing now, under the same circumstances, with the same primitive equipment......and I would still be having fun!!!!!!!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton
Old 03-31-2013, 09:32 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

First of all, why all the rejection of Tenkara, and the non- belief that as fly fishers the U.S. gets it's ass kicked in international competition?
I don't have a Tenkara rod, but I wouldn't be apposed to trying it.
Short History of Tenkara |

Why is it that we have a notion that it's just the U.S. and The British Isles that fly fish and there's no flyfishing in the rest of the world. Do you think we're that damn good that if other countries have fly fishing they'll fish as we do?
Adaption to different styles of terrain is imminent. Google Czech or Polish nymphing and see WHY it was developed and how our guys are ADAPTING and using it to U.S waters.
So take the sticks out of your arses and you don't like it, don't do it, comment or read about it.
williamhj likes this.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
you must be unaware of the nippers thread....

I think most of the hate comes from the idea that what is done in this new found Tenkara... Can be already done with the rods that we own...
It would be like going up to a spin fisherman and handing him a cane pole... except that cane pole was $120... And trying to convince him of how awesome it's going to be
If you get it out of your minds, that Tenkara style fishing if going to be able to do what you can do with your fly rod w/guides and reel, you need to think again. It's for a certain type of fishing. Minimalist. I can't use it effectively on the Green River, Henry's Fork, the Madison, but it will excel (where it's difficult with a regular fly rod) on mountain streams like our Uinta mountain streams, or smaller local streams where foliage is a problem.
Amazing how many of you feel threatened by it. You can post all you want by saying you don't feel threatened, but read your replies. Something you're not familiar with is sneaking up and slapping you in the back of the head and you don't like it.
The cane pole and crappie pole analogy is boring and beating a dead horse.
I challenge you guys (if you got the stones) and grab a crappie rod or your bamboo pole. Tie your string on it and at the end tie a fly on it. Fish that bad ass all day and then, FIND SOMEONE THAT HAS A TENKARA ROD, fish it for a day and tell me it's the same. It might not be you cup of tea but at least you tried it and can REALLY come back and post on your experience. If not, than just ignore Tenkara threads.
Can't get any simpler than that
Edit: FWIW, I did read the nippers thread. I stopped after the first page. It's not my business how people spend the money that they work for.
williamhj and haulingmario like this.