The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree58Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenkara Forum?

Craig Mathews (true blue fly fisherman) has taken to Tenkara, yes I realize he stands to make money by selling the equipment in his shop.

Craig Mathews and Yvon Chouinard(owner of Patagonia).
Tenkara by Tenkara USA » Blog Archive » Yvon Chouinard and Craig Mathews host new show featuring tenkara

It even appears a major U.S. Rod manufacturer is planning on their own line of Tenkara Rods.
Craig Mathews | The Fly Line

Here's to opening another "can of worms"....Czech Nymphing with a Tenkara Rod!

I agree with Joni on this and if it's a forum your not interested in...don't read it.

Hell, we have a game forum here too.....I don't care for it, so I don't go there. Simple!
mojo and caseywise like this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no interest in Tenkara fishing but it obviously has a following which is cool. I will say that some of the flies are intriguing however. I don't have a problem with a specific forum for it.

Having a specific Tenkara forum might help both sides, those interested and those not. If posts specific to Tenkara were moved to or posted in that forum it would be easier to pass over for those of us not interested. If the mods are OK with it, I'm OK with it too as they would have another to moderate.

One thing I do know is these pounding on your chest threads where one side is right and the other is wrong is getting very old. Since finding this forum what I always appreciated about it has been it's encouragement, willingness to help others, tolerance and general good nature. Especially compared to others. Perhaps that's not the norm anymore?
Hardyreels, fysh, theboz and 1 others like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post

There are many people every day taking up Tenkara, and those people are not new to fly fishing.
Nor are they new to marketing.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Lightbulb A Word Please;

By now many will notice that I did some house cleaning on this thread. I have messaged some already and am posting to say, Please don't feel chastised by the fact that some posts are gone. I have no dog in the fight but I have, since returning home, found or received numerous PMs from senior members voicing their concerns over the basic loss of decorum on many threads.

I am not without sins, I have made posts that I was not proud of in hindsight. I usually either edited my words swiftly and or apologized for transgressions, so I know how easy it is to get involved in a bit of a tiff.

Regards to all,

Ard

PS.

I am adding this text at 1:32 AM AK. time, before we continue with this thread you should look on the forums home page and find the Tenkara threads forum there.

Please post Tenkara related threads there and if someone begins harassing the Tenkara threads Report the post.

Thank you and enjoy the forum.
fysh likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Thanks ARD for being impartial in this debate and I for one welcome Tenkara to this site. I can take others non-favorable points of view, but in the end of day we are all on the same team. It's about fishing and the advance of the sport.

Craig
fysh and yonder like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:53 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Just ran into Tenkara, here, this week because I am on vacation and can surf through forum. Glad I found it here.

I might be missing something, so forgive my ignorance if you would. I’m having a very hard time figuring out how it is not just a different evolution the same basic tech that has lead to our modern graphite rods.

The stuff coming in from over one ocean uses a longer rod and a shorter line. What came over from the other ocean uses a shorter rod and longer line.

Anyhow, have done a lot of experiments in what I call ‘primitive fly fishing’, right down to learning how to plait a tapered line with horse tail. [Deleted the rest of that very overlong post.] Long rods & shorter lines cast differently and have a different range, but you can still drift a pheasant tail nymph on the dark edge of a seam and have fun catching fish. It's just a slightly different solution to the same old problem: "I do not have the fish and I want the fish."

Can someone clue me in here, because this thread looks a lot like:
“This is a dry fly.”
“No! It is not!”
fysh likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

In all fairness, the topic of this post was "asking" for a Tenkara forum. Some just gave their opinion as to why they didn't feel it was needed.
Their opinion, that is all. But, it all boiled down to enough interested parties to proceed.
Final conclusion, if you don't agree with it, just don't go there.
fysh likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I can only speak for myself, but I see no negative issue having a Tenkara forum. I am mostly a western fly fisher, but I do like to bring a Tenkara rod when hiking and while fishing with my kids. I have written many times in the past that Tenkara is a great way of getting new Fly Fishers into the sport. The equipment is relatively inexpensive and you still get the excitement and satisfaction of catching fish. What better way of attracting new fly fishers to the sport. I have personally witnessed many Tenkara only Fishers make the jump into Western Fly Fishing. Tenkara brings fishers to the river and they soon realize that they may need to cast further than the Tenkara rod will allow. At this time, they are no longer only a tenkara fisher, but more importantly a fisher… We “the fly fishing community” need more young fly fishers getting into the sport. Why would we do anything to dismiss any young/new fishers?
fysh and yonder like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

It's done, the forum is placed into the General discussions category.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Closed Thread