The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM

taylor16 will become famous soon enough
Default Advice: High & Muddy Waters

Heading out for my first fishing of the year. Any advice on fishing high/dirty waters this time of year?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice: High & Muddy Waters

Fish the edges.

Fish behind rocks.

Use flies with UV flash.

I'm sure others can chimb in.

Dennis
yonder likes this.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Good time to probe with a black Wooly Bugger. May need to add a few BB's to get it down.
jaybo41 and yonder like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

You covered most of my thoughts Dennis

Flies with a large profile and dark colors are a good way to go. I wouldn't leave home without some black buggers or leeches.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

+1 what the others said....+ fish shallow waters near the banks when the water gets a bit clearer with black nymphs or even black dries
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

The others have all given good advice. Besides black for a color, I also like Chartreuse (sp?) for visibility in off colored water and out here in the Rockies stoneflies are a good choice as well as San Juan worms. Good luck and be safe.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:22 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Fish the edges.

Fish behind rocks.

Use flies with UV flash.

I'm sure others can chimb in.

Dennis
I'm not sure what you mean by "Behind rocks" but if you mean directly behind them that is probably one of the last places a trout will be... right behind a rock is where very turbulent water lies... you can see it during clear water... sand and rocks tumbling behind the rock... this makes a trout have to spend a lot of energy for little reward... you best bet is to look for a rock... and then look down stream to the next rock... likely the trout will be holding in front of a rock downstream from a rock that is splitting the current...

Depending on how high the water is... look for pockets of flooded grass... along the edges... where the water is slower... also the trout stay rather shallow in high muddy water as lower down in the column the water just gets more turbulent... don't be afraid to get right up to that pocket of slow water and high stick your nymph through the pocket for optimal success...

Big flashy flies with tungsten heads will also be your best bet... leave the small stuff at home
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I'm in agreement with what the others have said. When I fish high, muddy water, which isn't often, I prefer lures over flies. ( Bass or Striped Bass) There are others who prefer dark colors, and some as Mcnerney has said, that prefer bright colors. Both can be productive, because they're easy to see at short range in muddy water.

Generally, you want something that pushes a lot of water, provides a great deal of vibration, makes a good amount of noise, and has a big profile. All of these help the fish find your offering.

My preference for flies is for black & big, and when possible something that includes rattles, or other materials that may add some noise.
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by "Behind rocks" but if you mean directly behind them that is probably one of the last places a trout will be.
HUH?

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
HUH?
Have you ever looked at the water right behind a rock? It's turbulent.. That's why you'll find holes behind them... from heavy current digging into the sediment behind it... Not trout friendly... and the food goes right around the rock... as the current pushes to the right or left of the rock... a trout will not be directly behind a rock... but rather off to one side or the other of that rock... usually at a distance from that rock... not directly behind it

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Here you can check this video... start at 6:00... Tom explains it better than I can