The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 PM

drc has a spectacular aura aboutdrc has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishpond vs Orvis

I have a Fishpond arroyo chest pack and it's fine for when I'm fishing small streams but when I go trout fishing on big rivers where I need to take all of my boxes and extra spools, I run out of room. I also fish for bass and redfish frequently where i need to carry a cliff bugger beast or bugger beast jr.

So basically, I need a bigger pack and I was looking at a sling pack. Between the Orvis Guide Sling and the Fishpond Westwater Sling and I was looking for your opinions on which would better suit my needs. I mostly fish for bass but trout are a close second. I would like something that's pretty rugged because it's really muddy where i bass fish. I also need something that will hold a big fly box.

I like to carry a net around with me when trout fishing so which it the best for that?

thanks for your advise
Old 03-30-2013, 08:17 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishpond vs Orvis

Here's what I can tell you about the Westwater. I bought it for fishing in foul weather that I often see when fishing Great Lakes Steelhead. It's highly water resistant and has a good amount of space, but it is mostly a big pocket. Water resistance is probably it's most significant feature. On the inside, there is one zippered pocket and one mesh pouch. The outside has one smaller zippered pocket. It has plenty of room without being too big, you can fit jacket, multiple fly boxes & food with ease. Very comfortable to fish with.

There's a D ring on the pack so you could hang your net from that. It's great for my needs but I'd consider it a basic pack in terms of organization. It lacks a bottle holder as most waterproof packs seem to do but there's room on the inside for that. The build quality is what you'd expect from Fishpond. Overall I'm very happy with it.

You should have a look at the reviews for the Orvis Guide and Patagonia sling pack here:

Gear Reviews - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

They both seem to have very positive reviews and if you want a sling that has more organization you'd probably want to look at one of these over the Westwater.
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 PM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Also check the gear review for the Magellan and save yourself money over the big name brands.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:36 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

I've been using the Wasatch Tech Pack (by Fishpond) for the past 2+ seasons and absolutely love it. I tend to take a LOT of stuff and even fully loaded it's very comfortable.

The only knock that I have (and this is purely a "me" thing I'm sure), is that I used to fold-up my rain jacket and strap it to the back of my former vest via quick release straps... and this vest does not have that.

Link if interested: fishpond Wasatch Tech Pack

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM

chitownflyer is on a distinguished road

I know that this is an old thread but I want to second the FishPond Wasatch vest. I am new to fly fishing and don't like buying things twice-- I did my research and this vest fit the bill, (light, water resistant, large capacity, US company). They are available on closeout and in my opinion worth every penny. Now, if I can just find the time to use it more often...