The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:48 AM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about
Default A fishing weekend with the lady

On Wednesday it was the wifeís birthday, we both love fishing and last year we got into fly fishing. We absolutely love it and it is something that we will enjoy for a long time. For the birthday I got her a custom made net called the "The Purple Heart". She loved it and wanted to go fishing on the long weekend. We headed out early on Friday to a place south of us in the Rocky Mountains and spent the whole day wading and fishing. We did not get lucky and did not catch a fish but it was a blast just spending time together and having fun. We drove back and she fell asleep as I got lost in my thoughts and got pulled over for speeding Well it sucked got a nice fine and went on my way, put the car into cruise control for the speed limit and lost myself again in the day that we just had and as I was coming down a huge hill another police officer. Ended up getting another fine as I was "speeding" go figure with my luck. Even though all this happened I did not let it ruin the day we had together and I was as happy as can be.

Next morning we got up a bit late and I asked what her plans were for the day as her family was coming from out of town late in the evening and she said lets go fishing! I was packed ready to go in 15 minutes and we headed off for another round in the same area. The drive was a lot longer as now I paid attention to the speed and didnít drift off in my thoughts and made sure we didnít go faster than the post speed. (Learned my lesson on that one) Got to the river and started fishing as the family was supposed to come at about 9pm. We did not take our cellphones with us and didnít have any way to tell time other than the sun. Again we did not catch any fish we learned a lot figured out what was hatching and used those flies. Walked along the higher banks to spot fish but saw nothing! Fished a few pockets of deep water and still nothing. We had a ton of fun and just wanted to keep going! When we got back to the car and checked the time it was about 7:30pm and we are about 2 hours out still with the drive back.

All in all we tested our equipment and learned a few new things and I am happy with that. The fish will come but we just need to work more on our technique. We tested our new sunglasses and boy what a difference they make. I have a pair of Costa Del Mar's 580 Glass and they are amazing and if you are on the fence to buy these, go for it as you will not be disappointed. I am very happy that we got out there even on colder days and just connected with nature. We saw three people on the river in those two days and it was a very peaceful and fun filled weekend.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A fishing weekend with the lady

Nothing better than time spent fishing with the bride!

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Yeah it was a ton of fun, we hit the river today as well for a few hours after work, as it was +22 degrees C
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You two deserved to have a good day after all of that. it's much better to have a mate that likes fishing than one that would not!

Good for you both,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you two had fun. That's a really nice net as well. It's kind of funny that they would call it a purple heart and not have any purpleheart in it. I would think a girl would like purple wood.

Purpleheart;
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:01 AM

Ard and Dan thanks for the response.

Dan the net does use a little bit of the purpleheart wood in the hoop and also uses curly maple. It does look like it is a different color in the photos. Maybe due to flash? I think there are about 4-5 different woods used overall. It is a very nice net and its all hand made. I think it was the most thoughtful gift I could come up with.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
Ard and Dan thanks for the response.

Dan the net does use a little bit of the purpleheart wood in the hoop and also uses curly maple. It does look like it is a different color in the photos. Maybe due to flash? I think there are about 4-5 different woods used overall. It is a very nice net and its all hand made. I think it was the most thoughtful gift I could come up with.
Did you get the Purple Heart net from Greg at Sierra Nets? He had a beautiful net he called Purple Heart for sale. He just built me a net recently, his stuff is beautiful and well built.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good weekend despite little vexations
Dan what's that thing on the pic you've posted?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputinj View Post
Did you get the Purple Heart net from Greg at Sierra Nets? He had a beautiful net he called Purple Heart for sale. He just built me a net recently, his stuff is beautiful and well built.
Yes sir I sure did. Thanks to your post Breaking in new net I found him and ended up buying from him! What a great guy and the service was phenomenal! He shipped it to Canada for me and it came up here overnight Stuff never comes in Overnight and the cost to ship it was only $35! I was amazed, and honestly the service was awesome I did not mind spending the money at all and will be buying another one for myself from Greg.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

1move: Congrats on a couple really nice days on the water even though the fishing was SLOW! I loved that net you bought your wife, what a great present!

Larry

Larry