The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM

custompolz is on a distinguished road
Default Feather Craft Furled Leaders

I am told that the main concern about furled leaders is the rooster spray when the line is lifted from the water -- and -- that the FC leaders limit this problem. Does anyone have any experience with the Feather Craft furled leaders? Would love a little guidance as the cost too much for my budget just to buy a few to try them out. Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feather Craft Furled Leaders

I have not heard this concern before. I use furled leaders made by a member here, Joni, and have not noticed extra "rooster spray". How is the FC ones supposedly cutting down this spray?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

never heard of that problem either.
i use jonis leaders as well and have never had that problem.

ARFE
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Never had this "rooster spray" problem... I have not used F-C furled leaders... yet...I would like to try one out... but until I can get free shipping on one... I'm not paying the ridiculous shipping... I've had the pleasure to try Joni's leaders but they were not my cup of tea and have really built up confidence with another company through years of positive experience
Old 04-01-2013, 03:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Feather Craft Furled Leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I have not heard this concern before. I use furled leaders made by a member here, Joni, and have not noticed extra "rooster spray". How is the FC ones supposedly cutting down this spray?
As do I, all the way down to 3wt rods. Even use them on my 6wt and down 2handers. You can purchase furled leaders from many sources, but from Joni, you get 'custom builds' to meet the exact fishing situations.

This is a very good thing!
fae
Guest1 and caseywise like this.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Yep, Joni's leaders are tops.

Michael
Guest1 likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:07 PM

mi_trouter is on a distinguished road

Are you mistaking a furled leader with a braided leader? Braided leaders do have a spray.
mojo likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by custompolz View Post
I am told that the main concern about furled leaders is the rooster spray when the line is lifted from the water -- and -- that the FC leaders limit this problem.
I just looked at the Feather Craft site and they said this; "They land like a feather, and no "rooster tail" when you lift it off the water." It sounds to me like they are saying furled leaders [of any variety] reduce this. I guess I can see where the irregular surface of a furled leader might do this, but I have not really seen this as a problem with any leader, furled or not. Where did you hear that the main concern about furled leaders is the rooster spray when the line is lifted from the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_trouter View Post
Are you mistaking a furled leader with a braided leader? Braided leaders do have a spray.
I have never used a braided leader. Are they sold anywhere or is this a DIY thing?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I am curious to hear what if any impact the rooster tail would have on the cast or the catching of a fish.

Not sure it would spook a fish any more than any other cast being lifted of the water. I would think it would create a little more drag and maybe load the rod a little better especially on a water haul.

My understanding of the furled leader was it worked in a similar fashion and performed the same function as the bimini twist, so if there is a rooster tail does the concern about that rooster tail out way the benefit of the furled leader.

I think not.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM

custompolz is on a distinguished road

I was told they are wound tighter to reduce spray. The spray is supposed to be a concern for wary fish when recasting upstream if there is spray while lifting the line from the water. I have not used furled leaders but want to try them this season.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Sorry ...

I read about this being a concern on another forum while researching furled leaders. Some said they stopped using the furled leaders because of this problem and another person told them he had the same concern until he switched to FC leaders. A good salesman if nothing else -- I went right over and checked them out.