The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about
Default Ft. DeSoto (FL) sea trout

Got away from the Chicago winter to do some fishing in Florida. Rented a kayak at Ft. DeSoto to try my hand at salt water fly fishing for the first time. Tied my own clousers based on information on previous NAFF threads.

Already spent a week down here, but didn't do any fly fishing due to unusually cold weather (and water) and high winds. Fishing was bad even with spinning gear and live bait.

Things finally warmed up over the Easter weekend, so it was time to hit the grass flats at Ft. DeSoto. As soon as I hit the water, saw multiple dolphin in my usual fishing spots. Don't know if my assessment is correct, but fishing has always shut off when they are around and I assumed it's because the fish I'm trying to catch are more worried about the dolphins than eating.

Continued to cruise and cast some water in another area, without any success. Had trouble with the wind, which only compounds any problems with my rookie casting technique.

Four hours later decided it was a pleasant enough day and my stomach started to growl, so I headed in. Dolphins no longer seemed to be in the first area, so I cast several of those spots on the way. Pleased to report that I landed a 21 inch sea trout on a chartreuse and white clouser. Nice way to end the day and decided to keep this one for the frying pan.

It was a nice change from ice fishing.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ft. DeSoto (FL) sea trout

NICE TROUT! Chartreuse and white Clouser one of the best all around sw flys there is! Dolphins are pretty much a guarentee of little or no fish! Looks like you had a good time!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser