The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default If you dunk your fly box, are your flies ruined?

Last summer my fly box that holds my "little bit of everything" selection and is really the only fly box I use, was filled with water when my pack became submerged. I dried them completley when i got back that night. I've read posts of people on the Internet claiming "whole fly boxes full of flies ruined when dunked". Is this true? Have my flies been "ruined" just because they've been wet? I have caught fish since, but I also haven't used every pattern in the box, especially the dries. So are my dries worth keeping?

P.S. a little Gobstopper "juice" may have found its way into the box also
Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: If you dunk your fly box, are your flies ruined?

You did the right thing drying them all, your flies are fine. The guys who have trouble are using clip boxes and the hooks are rusting or they are not drying the contents and the hooks rusted in their compartment boxes.

You're looking good to go,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

yep, ard nailed it.
remove all flies and let em dry

casey

ARFE
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

This was my reply to the first post that I came across that looked just like this one. Looking back, maccadon apologized for putting it first in the wrong area.

Save the flies by drying them out ASAP.
Some fly boxes may not allow enough air to get to the hooks before they can start rusting. Boxes in which the flies are held by foam are notorious for this. In this case take the flies out of the boxes to let them dry.
To speed things up you can blot most of the moisture out with paper towling. If the flies looks mushed after they dry, steam them over a tea pot to pop the materials back into shape. Of course after that you should let them air dry again before stashing them back into a dry fly box.
All is not lost if you dry them as quickly as possible after they're dunked.

Best of luck!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I ruined a whole box of flies once. Every hook rusted.
It was one of these old aluminum Perrine boxes with steel springs that held the flies.
They don't make them any longer, so just an FYI for anyone that still uses one

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

It is worse when fishing salt water or dirty pond water. Last time I saltwater fished I found that even one wet (salty) fly will start to rust whatever is next to it. I rinsed the whole box in fresh water and let it dry out. I let my streamers dry out on a foam patch before putting them back in the box now...

My favorite boxes have a rubber seal that also makes them float.
Using old backing to make a box-leash has been helpful also. The leashes have saved a few of my boxes from being dunked.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Times I dunked my boxes and/or myself and my boxes, I open the boxes and put them upside down on the ride home and then hit them with a hair dryer on warm (not hot).

[Learned the hard way not to put them open and upside down over the defroster vents.]
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

Just wanted to thank you all for your responses. They were very much appreciated.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:17 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

I've dunked fly boxes more times than I'd like to admit. The best way I've found to dry them is to dump them out on a screen and let them sit in the sun. I've also caught fish on rusty hooks. Rust makes them more brittle, but it doesn't seem to affect the fishing besides that. Do the fish really care if your hooks are rusty?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: If you dunk your fly box, are your flies ruined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You did the right thing drying them all, your flies are fine. The guys who have trouble are using clip boxes and the hooks are rusting or they are not drying the contents and the hooks rusted in their compartment boxes.

You're looking good to go,

Ard
Siiiiiiiiiiiigh, wrong-o Ard.

The flies are toast. I will PM the fellow as to where to send same to me. I will do 'My Magic' and restore. As this is a very complicated, and delicate I might add, process. Might take a couple of years to get them all 'right.'

But I guarantee success!