The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First day out guiding

Congratulations Tbblom, it sounds like you had a good first day out. Kudos for chasing your dreams. I love my job, don't get me wrong, but there are days where I'd give anything to be on the water, whether I'm fishing or being out there watching someone else do it. Here's to a successful career as a guide.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! That's great news.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Nice! its nerve racking!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:38 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Did the dude know that he was your first client?
Congrats man.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

That's awesome to hear that it went well, very inspirational!!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Well done. No easy task. Some days you get great folks other days, well you will learn. Be patience and cut yourself some slack when it gets tough.

Craig
Old 04-11-2013, 05:52 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Very, very cool, TB. Were you able to drop off to sleep easily that night?
Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

Congratulations Tbblom. Nothing like a good "first day" at-the-office!

You really are a bold fellow and you can be proud of this first step.

May you have many more such good days!

You can surely claim to be a member of the Brotherhood of the Crawdad.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the kind words guys! Luckily the guy was a lifelong fly-fisher, and just needed to be pointed in the right direction, given a good fly to throw, and occasional told to 'Set!'
We had a funny conversation about his experience with guides, and he asked me how long I had been guiding. I instantly surmised that he was not a man to listen to BS, and admitted that he was my first. He was grateful for my honesty, and luckily my pre-trip recon of the area payed out in terms of knowing exactly where the fish were holding and what they would eat. He was fishing well, so we stuck around a little past the planned 'go' time until he caught a few more. A very nice tip let me know I had done alright for a noob-guide.
Having worked in restaurants in the past, I know that not all customers will be as pleased or easy to deal with. Hopefully that past customer service skill will come in handy while dealing with any unruly types!
noreaster likes this.