The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   First day out guiding (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/315452-first-day-out-guiding.html)

tbblom 04-02-2013 10:21 AM

First day out guiding

I was pretty nervous, as I'm no expert.
Nervous about the client getting skunked, about fishing my own flies, about seeming professional enough... the list goes on.

But, it went off without a hitch, dude caught 7 decent fish on a half day and we had a good time. Not lights out fishing, but pretty good for a cold day with a cold front moving in.
Looking forward to learning more and getting to do my 'dream job'!:wavetowel

awkwardsportsman 04-02-2013 10:33 AM

First day out guiding

Nice man!!! Congrats on a successful trip!

noreaster 04-02-2013 10:40 AM

Re: First day out guiding

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbblom (Post 543150)
I was pretty nervous, as I'm no expert.
Nervous about the client getting skunked, about fishing my own flies, about seeming professional enough... the list goes on.

But, it went off without a hitch, dude caught 7 decent fish on a half day and we had a good time. Not lights out fishing, but pretty good for a cold day with a cold front moving in.
Looking forward to learning more and getting to do my 'dream job'!:wavetowel

You'll have to learn some good guide pranks.

I had a buddy that guided in Northern Ontario. Big guy with a big personality. He used to love kidding with the guest especially the guys from the states. He had a small timex watch (no strap ) hidden inside his ball cap. He said he could tell time within 10 minutes by just looking at the sun. When they took his wager he would take his hat off hold it up in front of the sun and say ohhh, feels like....11:55. He made many a twenty sheet and they never caught on.:D

South Holston 04-02-2013 10:58 AM

How Many tangles did you did you undo?

jpbfly 04-02-2013 11:09 AM

Congrats,looks like a good start:thumbsup:

vanceinak 04-02-2013 03:40 PM

Living' the life!
Congrats on chasing your dream.
Never guided but I bet that 1st trip is a nailbiter!

mcnerney 04-02-2013 05:25 PM

Congrats on a successful first trip, may there be many more to come!

Hardyreels 04-02-2013 08:57 PM

Congratulations Tevis,

I know very well how the anxiety builds when you know that someone is counting on you. You exhibit a good sense of humor and that will be priceless to the people who fish with you.

Ard

theboz 04-02-2013 09:28 PM

Nice going Tevis! First one is always the toughest,psycologically. 7 fish half day the guy must be thrilled , hope you got a good tip!

codypom 04-02-2013 09:31 PM

I have only been on one guided trip, but I thought I really respected my guide for telling me this at the beginning of the day: "I can't guarantee you will catch anything, but I can guarantee you will find fish and you will learn a lot." The experience of being with someone who knew more than me was priceless!

Congratulations, and keep it up.