The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Relationship Advice

I just got myself into a moral predicament and am unsure what to do. As some of you know, I am new to the world of flyfishing. My personal set up is a Ross Essence Elite package, which has the Ross Flyrise reel. My girlfriend has also been wanting to get into fly fishing, so for her birthday I decided that I would set her up with some gear. I just hopped on Allen's website and saw the great deal they had on the Compass rod bundle. Naturally I put it in my cart as I have been eye balling this rod for my girlfriend anyway. Of course every fly rod needs a reel, so I put the Trout II (size 2) in my cart as well.

Here is the problem: I have been looking at the Trout II reel for my own setup, and just hang on to the Flyrise as a back up. So now I'm thinking I could throw the Flyrise on my girlfriends rod and in turn put the Trout II on my rod. Kinda like killing 2 birds with one stone, but I kind of sort of maybe just a little bit in the slightest way feel guilty about doing that. What would you do? Keep in mind I will probably fish twice as much as her
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relationship Advice

Having had a bike shop, I can assure you that women DO care about the appearance of their outdoor gear. Color is everything, so choose the reel that matches the rod best, or the color she seems to like. Trust me.....
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

If she wants to learn... There's no reason she can't learn on your kicked down gear... Buy yourself a new rod and reel... Give her the old one... no moral issues here
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Having had a bike shop, I can assure you that women DO care about the appearance of their outdoor gear. Color is everything, so choose the reel that matches the rod best, or the color she seems to like. Trust me.....

Excellent advice.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 AM

awkwardsportsman is on a distinguished road
Default Relationship Advice

Damn...... Guess I'll have to wait until the green reels are in stock and keep the silver one for myself......shucks lol!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

mibuwulf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Excellent advice.
I second that. Man knows how to set up for the next trip.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM

jimmorgan is on a distinguished road

Depends on which you care about more, her or fishing.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Give her the bling. Trust me. Been there. Done that.
jaybo41 and yonder like this.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by awkwardsportsman View Post
I just got myself into a moral predicament and am unsure what to do. As some of you know, I am new to the world of flyfishing. My personal set up is a Ross Essence Elite package, which has the Ross Flyrise reel. My girlfriend has also been wanting to get into fly fishing, so for her birthday I decided that I would set her up with some gear. I just hopped on Allen's website and saw the great deal they had on the Compass rod bundle. Naturally I put it in my cart as I have been eye balling this rod for my girlfriend anyway. Of course every fly rod needs a reel, so I put the Trout II (size 2) in my cart as well.

Here is the problem: I have been looking at the Trout II reel for my own setup, and just hang on to the Flyrise as a back up. So now I'm thinking I could throw the Flyrise on my girlfriends rod and in turn put the Trout II on my rod. Kinda like killing 2 birds with one stone, but I kind of sort of maybe just a little bit in the slightest way feel guilty about doing that. What would you do? Keep in mind I will probably fish twice as much as her
Put it on her rod...

Then, use it when she isn't fishing with you!

You don't seem "cheap" by giving her the used reel and you still get to use the new reel a bunch as well!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Give her the bling. Trust me. Been there. Done that.
This. Set her up with the new outfit. It will make things easier for you down the road when you "need" new gear
yonder likes this.