The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By romanl
  • 1 Post By kglissmeyer1
  • 2 Post By romanl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default What FLY have you been fishing today?

in Fly Tying section there's on of my favorite threads: "what have you been tying today?" so i thought, with all that fly tying , why not start "What FLY have you been fishing today?" so we can see what people are using. here are my few basic thoughts on guidelines:
1. FLY selection/set up/rod wt
2. Fish caught
3. Location / weather / etc
4. Picture of flies used/Fish caught/ etc

ill start: today was my first day fishing as CO resident, just picked up my permit earlier today and went for late afternoon session.

1. 3wt - PRINCE nymph +trailing RAINBOW WARIOR (my own tied
2. 12 Browns (1 on Prince vs 11 on RAINBOW Warior's)
3. Golden CO, right in town, 34-38*F wet snow/rain

WOW those Rainbow warriors really worked, fish went nuts for them (fish destroyed few of mine, here they are for comparison) and here's my very first CO fish
Click the image to open in full size.
cowger10, noreaster and ___trout like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What FLY have you been fishing today?

I'll get it started with this one. A simple dumbbell eye tie with white rabbit and a bit of blood-red dubbing at the gills. The only pic I can show is of the fish this fly caught two days ago on April 1st (not April Fools).

Kelly
noreaster likes this.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
in Fly Tying section there's on of my favorite threads: "what have you been tying today?" so i thought, with all that fly tying , why not start "What FLY have you been fishing today?" so we can see what people are using. here are my few basic thoughts on guidelines:
1. FLY selection/set up/rod wt
2. Fish caught
3. Location / weather / etc
4. Picture of flies used/Fish caught/ etc

ill start: today was my first day fishing as CO resident, just picked up my permit earlier today and went for late afternoon session.

1. 3wt - PRINCE nymph +trailing RAINBOW WARIOR (my own tied
2. 12 Browns (1 on Prince vs 11 on RAINBOW Warior's)
3. Golden CO, right in town, 34-38*F wet snow/rain

WOW those Rainbow warriors really worked, fish went nuts for them (fish destroyed few of mine, here they are for comparison) and here's my very first CO fish

Is that a Reddington Classic trout rod? I have the 8foot 4 wt. Looking forward to testing her out this season. Like 12 days from now.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I'll get it started with this one. A simple dumbbell eye tie with white rabbit and a bit of blood-red dubbing at the gills. The only pic I can show is of the fish this fly caught two days ago on April 1st (not April Fools).

Kelly
wow thats a nice looking Brook, (that is brookie right? it kinda looks like a Bull a bit) great job

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post

Is that a Reddington Classic trout rod? I have the 8foot 4 wt. Looking forward to testing her out this season. Like 12 days from now.
yes it is, you gonna love that CT rod. i got it on sale when they were discontinued and am now kicking myself in the butt for not getting few different ones. (mines a 764-3) it casts really really well. i got for around $60-65 on clearance sale, and damn i should have gotten a 2 , 4 and 6WT or whatever they had at that time.
noreaster and yonder like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanl View Post
[/COLOR]

yes it is, you gonna love that CT rod. i got it on sale when they were discontinued and am now kicking myself in the butt for not getting few different ones. (mines a 764-3) it casts really really well. i got for around $60-65 on clearance sale, and damn i should have gotten a 2 , 4 and 6WT or whatever they had at that time.
Man, you did get a deal. I was a little earlier getting mine; had to pay over 100. I think I would be with you on getting the whole fleet at that price.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 AM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Went fishing yesterday on the lower chattahoochee using my 5wt Winston with a BWO, caught three rainbows (8'-9'-10'). Wasn't able to take pictures cause the run I went to was dicey to get to (I almost had a full submersion after sliding on a boulder). Weather was sunny and about 60, was a good morning.