The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default 2-3 wet fly "team" rigging question

Hi - I'm experimenting with a lot of swinging flies lately and wondered what your top choice is for rigging 2-3 flies on a leader..?

For nymphs I've used the method of tying the 2nd fly to the hook bend of the 1st fly and it works great. But for wet flies the 1st fly seems like it is too "constrained" in movement to actually serve any purpose when another fly is tied to the hook bend.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: 2-3 wet fly "team" rigging question

2 droppers and a point fly. no flies attached to the one above.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Do you make the dropper loop and cut half of it to use to tie the fly, or do you use the full dropper loop to attach another piece of tippet?

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

surgeons knot to join two pieces of line.
mcnerney likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a kid fishing with my grandfather we used a Dropper Loop
Most people now-a-daze that fish a "cast" of flies just use the tag end of a blood knot. You can blood knot a separate piece of material directly to the leader if there's not already a knot where you need it.

I'm likely to take the easy way out.
Using a loop2loop connection between the leader and tippet, I'll tie the tippet loop knot with surgeon's loop and just leave the tag end long for the dropper

When you're fishing a multiple "cast" of flies, the bottom fly is called the "point". The next fly up is the "first dropper"... then the "second dropper"..etc.
The top fly is the "bob" because you can dap or bob it on the surface.

Click the image to open in full size.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I see a bloodknot like RT has in the picture as the most common

but I'm really slow, and tying that all back on takes me too long

An easier alternative, you might use 2/2.5/3.0mm (depending on tippet size) tippet rings to connect the tippet sections, and the dropper as well tie off the droppers

JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building, Fly Tying: Niche Products Mini Tippet Rings
mcnerney and osok like this.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used Rip Tides method for all of my double and triple rigs when I went through that stage. The system works very well but you must remember to keep those false casts to the absolute minimum.

Ard
mcnerney likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

The majority of my fishing spring thru fall is by using a pair of wet flies. Three flies is one too many for me (the fast track to knot city).

Most of the time I run a 9' leader down to 4X tippet, tie on a 15-18" length of 5X using a Double Surgeon's Knot (like Fontinalis mentioned) leaving the tag ends about 6" long. Clip off the upper 5X tag as normal and tie your flies to the other two ends.

Word of caution, the faster the action on your fly rod the more care has to be taken when casting multiple fly rigs. The softer the action, the wider the loop, and the better off you are for keeping them untangled.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with what you wish for when fishing droppers
I do it most of the time when striper fishing.
It's good thing when you're catching little schoolies. I got 6 doubles in a row one day and with the size of them it took 2 to put a bend in the rod.

Another day I sight cast to a pair of 28" fish in the surf and ended up hooking both of them.
I had to horse them in as there was a pair of seals waiting to steal them away and it wasn't as much fun as you might think.
I never did that again.
Here's a nickles worth of free advice, : cut your droppers off if find that you're into big fish

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-03-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Does anyone tie a uni knot in line and snug the up line fly to the tippet or leader? Rather than having the second fly sorta out there on it's own leader, then have you point fly on the bottom? Watched a youtube video where these guys in the UK do it that way for wet flies/spiders.

Craig