The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree22Likes
  • 6 Post By fredaevans
  • 6 Post By noreaster
  • 3 Post By baseman1
  • 5 Post By theboz
  • 2 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default We now have 'The best fisherman' on my beach.

One of my fav places to fish is "Denmon Bar" on the upper Rogue River, and the folks who fish there are, in the main, pretty darned good with a "fly rod."

We have a Newbie on the beach .... An Osprey building a nest on top of a snag-tree at the end of the run. When it comes to 'Fly Fishing' it would appear we've more than met our match.

"Ospreys are superb fishers and indeed eat little else—fish make up some 99 percent of their diet. Because of this appetite, these birds can be found near ponds, rivers, lakes, and coastal waterways around the world. Ospreys hunt by diving to the water's surface from some 30 to 100 feet (9 to 30 meters) up. They have gripping pads on their feet to help them pluck fish from the water with their curved claws and carry them for great distances. In flight, ospreys will orient the fish headfirst to ease wind resistance.

Ospreys are sometimes confused with bald eagles, but can be identified by their white underparts. Their white heads also have a distinctive black eyestripe that goes down the side of their faces. Eagles and ospreys frequent similar habitats and sometimes battle for food. Eagles often force osprey to drop fish that they have caught and steal them in midair.

Human habitat is sometimes an aid to the osprey. The birds happily build large stick-and-sod nests on telephone poles, channel markers, and other such locations. Artificial nesting platforms are common in areas where preservationists are working to reestablish the birds. North American osprey populations became endangered in the 1950s due to chemical pollutants such as DDT, which thinned their eggshells and hampered reproduction. Ospreys have rebounded significantly in recent decades, though they remain scarce in some locales.

Most ospreys are migratory birds that breed in the north and migrate south for the winter. They lay eggs (typically three), which both parents help to incubate. Osprey eggs don't hatch all at once, but are staggered in time so that some siblings are older and more dominant. When food is scarce these stronger birds may take it all and leave their siblings to starve."

I must have been the 'last egg;' I totally fluffed the last 5 winter steelhead.
mcnerney, mrfzx, lacanadio and 3 others like this.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:31 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: We now have 'The best fisherman' on my beach.

Cool post. I love seeing wild life when fishing. Plus Ospreys are a good sign that there are fish around. Most amazing about the osprey is their ability to compensate for refraction in the water. Coming down from very high up, their accuracy is astonishing. Also cool how they shake their body like a wet dog does right in mid air.

This vid shows stills of one catching not one but two fish at once. Crazy

Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 AM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

We have a mating pair of Balds and ospreys within 3kms of my house and one of my favourite fishing spots. I have fed them chub before by tossing them in the air and the birds grab them. I have seen an osprey nearly drown trying to take a large salmon out of a river.
mcnerney, fredaevans and noreaster like this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

My parents' house is on the edge of a salt marsh and we routinely see 3-4 ospreys overhead every day whenever the herring, alewives, etc. are running.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Ten years ago driving home in a wicked rain thought I was dreaming because it looked like it was raining fish! A 14 inch native ( wish I could get one that big) fell out of the sky missing my car by inches ! Looking in my mirror I saw the reason , an osprey had dropped it and as he swooped down to catch it was struck by an oncoming car. I turned around and went back found the trout which was beautiful in all it's fall colors and found the osprey which unfortunately did not survive the collision .
Couldn't leave this beautiful predator on the road so I took it home and called the DEC.
Well it took them three days but they finally came and retrieved the bird. It did not go to waste , it is now in the Delaware Water Gap Nature Center mounted so at least visitors can see this magnificent predator with wings extended just as it looked in it's last attempt to retrieve it's meal!
No I didnt tAke any feathers!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
We have a mating pair of Balds and ospreys within 3kms of my house and one of my favourite fishing spots. I have fed them chub before by tossing them in the air and the birds grab them. I have seen an osprey nearly drown trying to take a large salmon out of a river.
I'd love to watch that! Years back fishing below Tou Velle Park (High Banks) and Eagle (maybe now I need to think Osprey) fly's up-down the run and does a dive. Comes up with about a 5-6 pound summer run Steelhead and flops down 60'ish feet from me and has lunch.

Amazing to watch.
mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

I love to watch the Eagles, chase ducks! watched one lucky duck do a dive from mid air to avoind the Eagles Talons, it was awesome! Nate Bailey
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheflyguide View Post
I love to watch the Eagles, chase ducks! watched one lucky duck do a dive from mid air to avoind the Eagles Talons, it was awesome! Nate Bailey
Woozer Nate! You've changed your poster name? If memory servers you can go into your User CP and do a ( ) with Nate Bailey inside.

If you'd like a Guide on the upper Rogue River I highly recommend his services. Two trips, three fish the first, two the second.

And I F L U F F E D each and every. I need lessons using a 1hander rod out of a boat.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:45 PM

ontheflyguide is on a distinguished road

Fred, Its just a different take thats all. Don't be down on yourself, we started hooking more fish with the new hooks Im using, besides it just gives you an excuse to "practice" some more!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
This vid shows stills of one catching not one but two fish at once. Crazy
They must be unbelievably strong to hang onto two sizeable, struggling fish and still take off without dropping either. Amazing1