The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Silver Label Roll-Downs vs Pro Guides...

So due to the fact that my wader purchase has been delayed due to bold face lying from a company I tried to have faith in failed miserably... I am still on the hunt for waders... Unfortunately according to the Orvis rep I talked with on the phone during my whole fiasco the Sonic Silvers in my size(XXLS) are back ordered until late September... So that leaves me with these two options.. the Silver Label Roll Tops or the Pro Guides... both are $100 off right now on the site... was just wondering if anyone could chime in on either of these...

PS: Not interested in Simms.. they are out of my price range and would require custom build as they seem to be another company where if you're fat.. you must have enormous feet and very long legs... Nor any other brand... I've looked... Done my research... These are my two options... Please don't stray from the topic at hand.. thank you... just looking for as much info on these two lines as possible... or anyone that has used both
Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Silver Label Roll-Downs vs Pro Guides...

I have 2 pair of the Pro Guides and like them very much. They are heavy duty...for the most part, I only wear them in cold weather. They help keep me warm, and...more importantly, dry. Interestingly, with my other waders (orvis and cabelas) I wear a size 9 boot. With the Pro Guides, I need to wear a 10. Again, they are pretty heavy duty.
Gary
Old 04-04-2013, 05:08 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

pro guides hands down.....
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-04-2013, 05:26 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

So how do the Pro Guides feel in the summer? are they comfortable in say just shorts or a pair of boxers in the summer?... GT I see you say you use them only for winter... Do they get that uncomfortable in the summers? or even warmer spring weather?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I have the roll downs (3 yrs I think) and find them comfortable and convenient. Not a hint of a leak or problem. I wear them waist high, wading...and chest high in my tube and like them either way.

The pro guides may be better, as indicated above. I have not had them on...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have the silver Lable roll downs for at least 7-8 years now and they still work great. I have fallen on rocks, surf fished in them etc and no problems.

Craig
Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

They are the heaviest waders I have owned. Far heavier material than other Orvis waders I have. I honestly don't know if they'd be too hot in summer, as I switch to waist high waders then.

They are pretty darn bulletproof waders, that's for sure. Just very thick material and neoprene booties. I love 'em for winter and spring and fall.

Gary
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I own the PG's and had them 4 years before I had any sign of leaking. Sent them back to Orvis and they have been repaired. Gary is spot on, they're heavy duty, comfortable fitting and functional. Great winter or cooler weather boot. I am generally always warm so switched to lighter boots when the weather warmed. I fished them in your general region a couple of years back. They were great in the cold spring creeks even when the ambient temps of the air were in the 70's. What I did when I was warm was extend the suspenders so the upper rod down low, use the belt at the waist and it was almost like wearing waist highs. I always wear a very thin pair of capelines underneath in the summer so no experience with shorts. If you do lots of bushwhacking these are the ones you want considering the two options you are looking at.

Have you tried any other shops to check availability by chance?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Are you wedded to Orvis? The LL Bean Kennebec and Helix II waders come in a very wide range of sizes and might be a better answer to your fit problems. And there's no better guarantee in the business.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Are you wedded to Orvis? The LL Bean Kennebec and Helix II waders come in a very wide range of sizes and might be a better answer to your fit problems. And there's no better guarantee in the business.
yeah i've weighted them all out... got down to measurements and Orvis measurements seem like they should fit me like a glove... That's really why I'm sticking to orvis... Only way I could get a better fit would be with custom made Simms and I just don't have that kind of money right now.... Orvis is a company I feel comfortable in dropping some serious coinage on... I still read that Orvis has a great warranty service.. plus being able to send to Orvis for repairs is always a nice feature....

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I own the PG's and had them 4 years before I had any sign of leaking. Sent them back to Orvis and they have been repaired. Gary is spot on, they're heavy duty, comfortable fitting and functional. Great winter or cooler weather boot. I am generally always warm so switched to lighter boots when the weather warmed. I fished them in your general region a couple of years back. They were great in the cold spring creeks even when the ambient temps of the air were in the 70's. What I did when I was warm was extend the suspenders so the upper rod down low, use the belt at the waist and it was almost like wearing waist highs. I always wear a very thin pair of capelines underneath in the summer so no experience with shorts. If you do lots of bushwhacking these are the ones you want considering the two options you are looking at.

Have you tried any other shops to check availability by chance?
Closest Orvis dealer is about 3hrs from me unfortunately... In a time when gas is expensive... returned mail is cheaper