The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 02:23 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default What are you cleaning, polishing, 'greasing' your line with?

Wonder what's the common care stuff for lines these days.

Was looking at a bottle "Mother's Cleaner Wax" earlier today, and I was/ am thinking about it.

So, Who's using what and why?

Thanks much.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: What are you cleaning, polishing, 'greasing' your line with?

I clean my lines with warm water and dishwashing soap and dress them with Umpqua line dressing. I imagine any of the line dressings would probably be ok...
Liphookedau and fredaevans like this.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:09 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I clean my lines with warm water and dishwashing soap and dress them with Umpqua line dressing. I imagine any of the line dressings would probably be ok...

To random user good question I have been wondering the same.

Does anything change in the application if the line is textured like sharkskin or GPX?
Do you know what the idea of dressing is? Does dressing wax the line or grease it or some other?
Don't really have any experience with it.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM

lostinmt is on a distinguished road

I throw some floatant on the tip section (10-15 feet). If I do clean, it will be with a silicone patch.

Wax etc will build up in Sharkskin and ridge lines and really defeats the purpose of the textured line.
fredaevans and noreaster like this.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Phil,

As you know I'm old school and have been dressing lines with Mucilin since I started fishing. It makes the lines float higher until the dressing wears off. Mucilin was formulated and used for silk lines but when vinyl came around we all found that it works fine on them as well. Any of the paste dressings that you may find today are all based on the same principal as the old Mucilin dressing, making the line more hydrophobic.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

When at home I use Dawn dish det. to clean and Son of a Gun to treat. I run the lines through it when I get back from a trip. I have the Umpqua plastic box with the pads that I carry in my gear bag. Currently using the SA fly line dressing in silver creek's pic with that.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

I clean my line with a dampened Mr. Clean Magic Eraser until it shows no trace of dirt. then like ARD, I also dress it with MUCILIN paste.
I tried Diver Dan's method of dressing with SON-OF a- GUN, but I preferred the mucilin.
random user likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The use of dish detergent sounds good but it is not recommended by the major manufacturers. That might have changed since SA and Rio said that years ago, I haven't nor do I have a reason to look lately.
Ivory bar soap is just that, soap and has no detergent in it. The manufacturers said detergent could leach the plasticizors and hurt those expensive lines.
In the short time I tried detergent I found it did indeed clean the line but it got the lines squeaky clean. That squeak was a sign of friction to me and the line seemed to slow down so much I had to slosh line juice on it to make it usable again. The line dressing left a wet finish that, though real slick seemed to attract dirt and create other problems.
On SA lines with AST as well as newer Wulff and Rio lines I use the the gray 3M pad shown in Silvers post. It takes a microscopic layer of coating off and brings a new, dry surface to the top. Because this surface is slick yet dry it works as needed and lasts quite long because it attracts no dirt.
If a line needs lube or dressing I use Glide or Rio dressing which requires time and elbow grease to put on and do right but when you're done it is slick, sort-of dry and very long lasting.
For a quick speed up the SA bottle of lube really works. It's slippery and wet but so is the water I use it on as when in a boat when salt water fishing.
For real skanky demo and instruction lines that might have been blackened by parking lot oil and grease the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers bring color back to them. No matter which line I have to use that on I lube it with the manufacturers or another line manufacturers line dressing.
To my way of thinking good fly lines cost too much to experiment with using stuff found under a kitchen counter or over the work bench. Real line treatments don't cost too very much and aren't ordinarily water soluble like a famous auot product that will probably be mentioned in this thread.

I typed all of this knowing it was typed several times before on this forum.
If I was out fishing like I should be I wouldn't be sitting inside punching a keyboard.
Boredom is EVIL!
noreaster likes this.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! I just realized that I went from religiously cleaning and dressing my lines (3M dressing), to not cleaning them at all. The stream I fished last year is pretty clean, and I just stopped cleaning without paying much attention to it. I had been wiping my lines down with plain water, and then 3M dressing. The lakes and streams I fished before last year were pretty gunky, and shooting line became difficult as the film and dirt built up on the line. The Scientific Anglers line on all of my reels is at least 3 years old now, and floats just fine (including the tip). I've become causual about cleaning..... Oh well.