The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 11:39 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Felt soles, didymo & company ???

Been reading about the felt sole bans and the reasons behind them.

What I haven't been able to find is a way to disinfect my boots. Did I miss something?

Thinking that a good dunk in a bucket of 10% bleach when I get home and then rinse and air dry the boots might be the simple solution.

Is this going to be affective?

What about my potentially 'infected" waders and flies?

Thanks much.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Felt soles, didymo & company ???

From a recent press release from Connecticut Inland Fisheries

http://www.farmingtonriver.org/LinkC...vU%3D&tabid=36

CHECK: Before leaving a river, stream or lake, remove all obvious clumps of algae and plant material from fishing gear, waders, clothing & footwear, canoes & kayaks, and anything else that has been in the water and look for hidden clumps. Leave them at the site. If you find any later, clean your gear and dispose of all material in the trash.

CLEAN: Soak/spray & scrub boats and all other "hard" items for at least one minute in very hot (140F) water, a 2% bleach solution, a 5% dishwashing detergent solution, or a 20% salt solution. Absorbent materials such as clothes and felt soles on waders should be soaked for at least 40 minutes in very hot water (140F), or 30 minutes in hot water (115F) with 5% dishwashing detergent.

DRY: If cleaning is not practical, after the item is completely dry to touch, wait an additional 48 hours before contact or use in any other waterway. Freezing thoroughly will also kill didymo.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
From a recent press release from Connecticut Inland Fisheries

http://www.farmingtonriver.org/LinkC...vU%3D&tabid=36
Thanks. That is just a little too close to home. I grew up fishing the the MA side of the Farmington. (I think it is just a matter of time before it gets across the boarder.

Scarey thing is there is a small section in CT you can fish with an MA licence. Looks like the perfect transfer point.

Bucket of bleach solution for the boots.
Hang the waders up and saturate with bleach solution (insecticide sprayer) and air dry for 2-3 days in the sun.
Vest and contents into the freezer.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I would not use 10% bleach. It will destroy the neoprene and adhesives on waders.

This is what Patagonia and Simms Wrote me

Patagonia

"This is a very good question and one that comes up often. Our suggestion
that has been agreed by all the resource folks we work with all over the
West - National Parks, Forest Service, fish and game, universtites, etc
is to Clean, Inspect and Dry your gear after use. Remove all particulate
matter, brush if you can, then rinse them and let them dry. Drying is a
diffcult part since anglers may be fishing for a week or so and moving
to different watersheds. So do the best one can. I found that buying a
brush and those flip top Rubbermaid containers cost $20. And I place
boots and waders in the water (top between the flip top) and rinse as I
dry to and from river. The brush I use when getting out of water to
remove particulate matter. This is a great, inexpensive and handy way to
reduce this threat. Think like a saltwater angler as you have to rinse
all your gear well after use.

Using chemicals can create damage to gear. And we do not know long term issues with water, insects, hatch etc. using chemicals. This was the best method. *The ideal, but difficult method is to freeze your gear. I know a number of lodges that are doing this for their clients. Clean Angling Coalition is a good website to review. I can provide more detailed info if you need this"

I also asked Simms if there was one treatment that would kill all invasives. Here is an email I got from Simms on treatment of their Waders and Boots:

"I wouldn't do more than a 4:1 ratio water:bleach. From everything I have learned is that there is no one cleaner that can or will kill all of the different types of ANS. A little bit of cleaner will not hurt the bottom of your boots and a little bleach (or a detergent with bleach for colors) will not hurt your waders every once in a while. Currently though the two most important things are 1. Being aware and cautious of the problem, and 2. Rinsing your gear with fresh water after every use and letting completely dry before using again - especially if in a different water.

I hope this has helped you and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Simms Fishing Products
PO Box 3645
Bozeman, MT 59772-3645
Direct-dial 406-585-3557
Fax 406-585-3562"

Regarding Dydimo, there is some good news in that the research so far has not shown that Dydimo significantly harms trout populations. Several studies form New Zealand have shown no ill effects on trout populations and one report states that trout grew faster after dydimo that before.

Furthermore, I can post research that shows dydimo actually INCREASES the biomass of both large and small invertebrates. I have not read any research that shows trout populations have suffered. Invasives by themselves are undesirable, but the assumption is that didymo decreases the trout population or invertebrate mass that has not been demonstrated.

"Didymo effects on river invertebrates: not as bad as feared?"*

Didymo effects on river invertebrates: not as bad as feared? | MAF Biosecurity New Zealand

"Preliminary research by the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA) had shown that high didymo biomass was associated with a greater density of invertebrate life in affected rivers, although the proportion of smaller invertebrates was greater. This qualification is important for trout, because the smaller their individual prey, the greater the energy they have to invest in feeding on them. This energy demand could limit trout growth and affect the health of the fishery as a whole.

Nevertheless, even though the research showed that there was a higher proportion of small invertebrates, the greater density all round meant that even the larger invertebrates that trout prefer were also more abundant at sites affected by didymo."

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...ort-jun-07.pdf

"A review of information on the impacts of didymo on trout indicates that there is currently no scientific evidence available demonstrating negative effects on trout population parameters (abundance and growth). Moreover, there is no scientific evidence available from anglers on the effects of didymo on trout catch rates and size."

Research Reports | MPI Biosecurity New Zealand

"Trout Impact Study

Results from brown trout drift foraging and bioenergetics modelling did not support the hypothesis that didymo alters invertebrate drift sufficiently to negatively affect trout growth. If anything, moderate-high levels of didymo were associated with higher trout growth potential in the didymo affected rivers studied.

Results should be interpreted with caution as they are based on only two sampling occasions during autumn and winter. Further research, taking account of the variability in drift density over time and space (especially by season), is needed before more definitive conclusions can be drawn.

Report: Invertebrate Drift and Trout Growth Potential in Didymo (Didymosphenia geminata) Affected Reaches of the Mararoa and Oreti Rivers: April and August 2006. Shearer et al. 2007 Download Report (1040 KB) (83 pages)"

The assumption has been that Dydimo is BAD for trout. But there is NO research that I have been able to find that shows this to be true.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
The assumption has been that Dydimo is BAD for trout. But there is NO research that I have been able to find that shows this to be true.
Even if Didymo is not a problem for trout, it IS a problem for humans who appreciate the beauty of the outdoors and humans who have a distaste for broken bones.
Besiders being an ugly mess that just looks horrible in the stream it is seriously like walking on greased bowling balls when you have to wade amongst that stuff.
These two issues alone are worth being careful and not sharing it with other watersheds.

Click the image to open in full size.
Photo: Treehugger.com
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Business Member

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly agree with that Jackster.

That's why I use a separate set of wading boot when I go to Montana.

Current Didimo distribution

Potential distribution

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
What I haven't been able to find is a way to disinfect my boots. Did I miss something?

Thinking that a good dunk in a bucket of 10% bleach when I get home and then rinse and air dry the boots might be the simple solution.

Is this going to be affective?

What about my potentially 'infected" waders and flies?

Thanks much.
Thorough drying should kill all the didymo. The problem with felt soles is that if they are saturated from a day in the water, they take a very long time to dry ourt thoroughly. Even when they are dry to the touch they may still be damp inside. As noted above, a long soak in hot water with a little bit of bleach (you don't need 10%) or some salt or dish soap can substitute for drying, and freezing is another alternative, but you should soak them for a good long while to be sure the disinfectant really penetrates the soles.

As for your waders, the same thing applies. Depending on the model, they may dry out overnight pretty well, except perhaps for the neoprene booties, which you can soak.

Flies kept in a warm, dry spot open to the air (not closed up while still damp in a wallet or fly box) would almost certainly dry out overnight.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Photo: Treehugger.com
Glorious, just expletiving Glorious!

All it is going to take is a few unaware people or a few people too good to clean their gear.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Just put them in a trash bag, toss them in the freezer, voila, you are good to go...

Banning felt soles is like putting a band-aid on a gun shot wound...

Like so many things in our Government, they create these laws to look like they are getting something done, banning felt soles does little to nothing to stop the spread of these invasives in reality as there are numerous parts of a wading boot which can aid in spreading invasive organisms...