The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   East Coast Cicada Hatch (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/316001-east-coast-cicada-hatch.html)

MoscaPescador 04-08-2013 01:16 AM

East Coast Cicada Hatch

Hopefully they make it to your waters. The fish will go stupid for them. It could be the best fishing ever!!!

Quote:

Sourced from: Billions of cicadas - NowMyNews

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-k7ufUvzsgS...ClusterLrg.jpg

Billions of cicadas, are expected to swarm the East Coast from New England to North Carolina this spring after remaining underground since the 1990s.

The Brood II cicadas are expected to appear in large concentrations along the East Coast between mid-April and late May, a ritual nearly two decades in the making.

Invasion: Billions of cicadas are expected to swarm the East Coast from New England to North Carolina this spring after remaining underground since the 1990s

En masse: The Brood II cicadas are expected to appear in large concentrations along the East Coast between mid-April and late May, a ritual nearly two decades in the making

‘Brood II is a periodic cicada that hatches out every 17 years,’ Craig Gibbs, an entomologist at the Wildlife Conservation Society's Queens Zoo, told CBS News.

The cicadas go through five stages underground feeding on tree bark and roots before they reappear above the surface.

‘What will happen is the nymphs will come up and they will shed their nymphal skin and they'll crawl up into the trees and they'll take about five days to harden and then they'll start for next four to six weeks calling and looking for mates,’ said Gibbs.

The bugs will begin to arrive throughout several states to breed as the ground warms to 64 degrees and hotter.

‘I’m expecting a significant emergence in New Jersey north of the Raritan River, in Staten Island, and in counties along the Hudson River,’ Dan Mozgai, a New Jersey resident who started Cicada Mania: Cicada Facts, Photos, Videos, Sounds, 17 Year, Brood II Periodical Cicadas told the Journal News in Upstate New York.

The cicadas go through five stages underground feeding on tree bark and roots before they reappear above the surface.

Breeding season: The bugs will begin to arrive throughout several states in pursuit of mates as the ground warms to 64 degrees and hotter

The insects are harmless to humans and trees, according to entomologists.

But the millions of cicadas that are expected per square mile will create a buzzing racket that has been compared to the sound of a New York City subway train.

‘It'll be noisy. There's no getting around the noise,’ Gibbs told CBS. ‘And again that's just the males looking for females. What's noisy to a human is the sound of love to another cicada.’

After about a month of breeding the cicadas will disappear again until 2030.

Dennis

Hardyreels 04-08-2013 01:42 AM

Re: East Coast Cicada Hatch

It's been awhile since I've heard the mating call of these insects Dennis. The 17 year cicada, we had these in Pennsylvania where I grew up. They do occur at some level yearly, you would find the empty shucks on tree trunks but only once every 17 years is there a mass event. When that happens it is truly amazing. Their matting call is a very high pitched buzzing, loud, really loud for a bug. They are large and solid bugs and when living back there, these were not the bug you wanted to get hit with while you were riding your KZ 1100 along the Nesbit Highway.................

stl_geoff 04-08-2013 08:00 AM

Have fun with that. I've been thru 2 of them now, including one where both the 17 and 4 year hatched at the same time. Its straight up deafening. I will pull some videos off my phone from 2 summers ago when the 17 yr hatched. I had to yell at the dogs in the yard because they couldnt hear me over them. I will say though, the dry fly fishing was epic.

schooner36 04-08-2013 08:05 AM

any suggestions about what fly to use?

Rip Tide 04-08-2013 09:21 AM

I remember the last time we were to have the big 17 year "hatch".
It was pretty unremarkable. Not all that different from any other year

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by schooner36 (Post 544980)

Many of the classic fly rod lures like the Tuttle Devil Bug and Peck's Popping Bug look so much like cicada that it can't be a coincidence.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...r/DSCN5990.jpg

Peck's popping bug

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/cl...ing%20Bug2.jpg

stl_geoff 04-08-2013 11:43 AM

Just tie a big black stimulator with orange legs and some extra crystal flash in the wing.

MoscaPescador 04-08-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schooner36 (Post 544980)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stl_geoff (Post 545047)
Just tie a big black stimulator with orange legs and some extra crystal flash in the wing.

Good call.

My recommendation - Fat Albert - Tying Instructions - here.

http://www.theflystop.com/aecommerce...6/orginal1.jpg

Dennis

mrfzx 04-08-2013 11:58 AM

I remember the last big hatch here in southern PA. It was the best trout fishing I have ever had.....bar none! My Cicada fly is a a black and orange Bomber tied on a #4 streamer hook. I add 4 splayed ginger or dunn hackle as wings.

Jimmie 04-08-2013 12:40 PM

There's a popular Cicada hatch on the Green River. Boomer, a guide, came to our club and showed us his pattern. Here's a picture Frying Pan River Fly Fishing . Black and tan looks good. I agree with a Fat Albert or Turks Turantula also.

theboz 04-08-2013 02:11 PM

Wow it must be cool to see trout going nuts during a Cicada year! Although Ive never seen this I have seen the results on several warm water lakes and it was incredible!
The one lake imparticular had a heavily tree lined shore and everything would come up to gulp down Cicadas! Everything including Largemouths,Bullheads,Crappies,Pickeral and just about every panfish that could fit one in its mouth!
On a windy day when a bunch would get blown out on to the water it reminded me of a saltwater blitz because so many fish would be on top at one time!
Hopefully this cycle will produce similiar results then its worth all the loud chirping we will be hearing on a daily basis! If I remember right May is a big month for them.