The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM

cjl22 is on a distinguished road
Default New Rod

Hey, I've been fly fishing for a couple of years now and unfortunately the starter rod, reel combo kit I have been using just recently broke, the tip snapped off and it is cheaper to buy then repair. Now I'm in the market for a new rod, and I was looking for suggestions. I'm a college kid so the Sage and the Helios rods are far out of my price range, so I'm wondering what are some good rods at a reasonable price.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Rod

where do you fish
what do you fish for
what size flies do you toss
what wt rod did you have
how much money do you have for rod/reel/line
can you spell echo, redington and tfo?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

You should have a look at some Redingtons...CT or Crosswater some good close out dealswhich wt are you looking for?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

cjl22 is on a distinguished road

Usually I do a bunch of little stream fishing, tossing out size 8's at the biggest but usually 12-20 is my range. I fish mostly in PA when I'm home and central mass when at school. I was looking for something in the 4 wt. and i was looking to keep this whole thing under $200
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Take a look at the Cabelas rods and the TFO signature series. If the streams have a canopy of trees you should also consider a short rod. I use a 6' 2wt TFO rod in the small streams I fish.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl22 View Post
Usually I do a bunch of little stream fishing, tossing out size 8's at the biggest but usually 12-20 is my range. I fish mostly in PA when I'm home and central mass when at school. I was looking for something in the 4 wt. and i was looking to keep this whole thing under $200
do you think you want a standard 9 footer, or something shorter for the streams you frequent?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

St.Croix Imperial scored very well in "best in under $200 in a major rod review shoot out.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 AM

dpreller is on a distinguished road

sounds like the 71/2 foot four weight imperial would be right up hour alley, atleast worth a look.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

this is a great deal on some good gear, including their new rod
Compass Rod Series and Accessory Bundle - Allen Fly Fishing Store
the 8'6" 4 weight should be perfect for you.
plus the fly line is awesome!

casey
osok and noreaster like this.

ARFE
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpreller View Post
sounds like the 71/2 foot four weight imperial would be right up hour alley, atleast worth a look.
I have that exact length and weight. Love it. Got Dad the 8'6" 5 wt. for Christmas. Look forward to getting him out for his impressions and seeing how the larger longer model performs.

The Allen deal wouldn't be bad either. I have the 6'6" Allen Myth. Just cast it in the backyard. It did really well getting the line out with some double hauling. Cast as if a longer rod.