The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Leader Straightener

Thumb nail and a calloused finger work well for anything stretching doesn't cure.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:39 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

I make an occasional Hiking boot purchase.... And on my last pair of boots, tied around one of the shoe laces, I found this high-end leader straightener that quickly made its way on to my necklace of goods.

Click the image to open in full size.

Plus, its waterproof.... , you don't always get that when purchasing from the big brand names.

Joking aside, I'm sure anyone could cut up a old tennis shoe, and fashion up something equally as effective! Not all fly fisherman have time hardened hoof like calluses on there finger tips.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
I have not used a standard Tapered leader in my last 15 years of fishing. I only use Furled leaders for that exact reason.
I have seriously redused my standard Tapered leader use for a dfferent reason although that is a good one. Furled leaders turn over better which has been my primary motivation.

As for straightening, I just pull it between my fingers when I use mono.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Before I switched to furled leaders, this was my method: Stick your index finger in your mouth and get some spit on it. Wrap the leader once around the wet finger between the first and second knuckle. Hold the leader in place with your thumb. Now, pull the leader with your other hand. if you feel the leader getting hot, slow down. If the leader starts to cut your finger, loosen up your thumb. Pull till your arms are as wide as they'll go, then start again above the highest kink in the leader. Repeat till the whole leader is done.
Wah-La. No straightener, one less piece of gear to carry.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

98.9999999% of the time, I also fish furled leaders....... Started with them, and doubt I will ever switch back to the unknown.

Sometimes, one has got to straiten a crocked tippet.